griffith arch - since 1923​





The Griffith Memorial Arch is the gateway to campus, facing Findlay's North Main Street.  It was named in memory of Miss Caddie A. Griffith, Class of 1909.  Caddie was known for her, "wit, intelligence, good looks and starring role on the UF women's basketball team."  She headed the University's Department of English from 1914-16 and 1917-18.
 
Tragically, Caddie died at a young age of intestinal flu.  Her parents commissioned the Arch in 1923 in her memory.  In 1990, the Arch was moved and reconstructed further back on the property to allow more room for students to safely march through it after graduation.  Because the former Findlay College changed its name in 1989, the back of the Arch was inscribed with "The University of Findlay" and turned toward Main Street. The Findlay College name now faces Old Main, the oldest building on campus.