The University of Findlay is a member of the Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) and participates in the Army's Concurrent Admissions Program (ConAp). This program admits eligible men and women to the SOC institution of their choice at the same time they enlist in the Army. Class enrollment is deferred for up to two years after discharge, and military learning experiences are evaluated for transfer. GI benefits pay for tuition.
Veterans' Education Benefit
The University of Findlay participates in Chapter 33-Post 9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008 and the Yellow Ribbon Program. Please contact the Office of the Registrar for details.
Has the Veterans Administration approved the academic programs and courses at The University of Findlay?
The State Approving Agency for Veterans Training has approved the academic programs and courses at The University of Findlay.
How do I know if I am eligible for education benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill?
Call the Veterans Administration at 1-888-442-4551. The eligibility requirements are unique to each program.
I have never used my Montgomery GI Bill benefits. What does The University of Findlay need from me?
If you have never used your Montgomery GI Bill education benefits (Chapters 30, 32 or 1606), the certifying official at The University of Findlay will need:
1. For Chapter 30 applicants, submit a Certified Copy of your DD-214 Member 4 (Discharge Certificate)
For Chapter 1606 applicants, submit your DD-2384, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). NOTE: Chapter 1606 applicants who have a Kicker Contract should submit the contract, also.
2. Submit a completed “Application for VA Education Benefits,” VA Form 22-1990. NOTE: This form is available from The University of Findlay certifying official or may be printed from Education Forms. If you have applied online using VONAPP, please inform the certifying official.
For Chapter 35 beneficiaries (a spouse or dependent child of a deceased or disabled veteran), the certifying official will need your “Certificate of Eligibility.” The “Certificate of Eligibility” is sent to you after submitting a completed VA Form 22-5490 to the Regional Processing Office (Buffalo, New York). If you have applied online using VONAPP, please inform the certifying official. NOTE: The Certificate of Eligibility will indicate your “Claim Number” and “Suffix.” This is required information for submitting your enrollment certification.
For Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) benefits, your case manager will submit the paperwork to The University of Findlay certifying official. Upon verifying your enrollment, the certifying official will forward the authorization form to the business office, where an invoice will be sent to the Veterans Administration. If the Veterans Administration authorizes books and supplies for your courses, ask for the book voucher from the assistant manager in the business office.
How do VA benefits affect my financial aid package?
Recognizing the variability of benefits being extended to veterans who enroll at The University of Findlay (UF), the University is adopting the following policies regarding institutionally-funded financial aid
1. We recommend that all VA benefit recipients file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
2. UF will give the student a merit award and need-based award based on the student's admissions application and need. These will be applied to the tuition/fee billing. Any state grant will be applied to tuition/fee billing as well. Any Federal Pell Grant award may be used for living expenses. The VA benefit will be calculated and applied by the student accounts office. If the amount of the institutional merit and need award plus the VA benefit and any applicable state grant exceeds the cost of tuition and fees, we will reduce the amount of institutional award(s) to an amount such that the VA benefit plus the state grant plus the institutional aid does not exceed the cost of tuition and fees
3. We will provide eligible students a copy of this policy and publish same on our website.
I have been receiving VA education benefits at another school and am transferring into The University of Findlay. What do I do to continue receiving these benefits?
1. Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606 beneficiaries complete and submit VA Form 22-1995 to the certifying official at The University of Findlay.
2. Chapter 33 beneficiaries complete and submit VA Form 22-1995 and submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to the certifying official at The University of Findlay.
3. Chapter 35 beneficiaries complete and submit VA Form 22-5495 to the certifying official at The University of Findlay.
NOTE: Forms 22-1995 and 22-5495 are available from The University of Findlay certifying official or may be printed from Education Forms. If you have applied online using VONAPP, please inform the certifying official.
At The University of Findlay, who do I talk to about Montgomery GI Bill Benefits?
Jennifer Dempster, Associate Registrar/VA Certifying Official
Office of the Registrar
The University of Findlay
1000 North Main Street
Findlay, OH 45840