All Windows computer users who plan to use the University's network must have the following programs installed and up-to-date before accessing the internet through the campus network.
Once you have received your UFnet account username and password, you can go to Oiler Nation to download the necessary programs listed here.
- Bradford Network Access System - this system registers your machine to the campus network. Prevents unauthorized access and verifies Antivirus and other required software is compliant.
- Antivirus Software - This software must have the most current virus definitions. We recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (free). You may choose your own Antivirus*. If you choose to install Microsoft Security Essentials, make sure you uninstall any other antivirus programs first.
- Spyware Protection - All students must have at least one anti-spyware software installed with current definitions. If needed Windows Defender for XP is a free download. Windows 7 and Vista users--Windows Defender is integrated into the operating system please ensure that it is turned on.
- Java - All students are required to have Java installed.
- Oiler Alert - This is an emergency notification service used to notify the campus community of on-campus emergency situations.
- Windows Updates - All users need to make sure their computers are up-to-date with the most recent updates from Microsoft.
Completing this list prior to coming to campus will decrease the amount of time you will spend connecting to the University's network the first time.
*Current allowed antivirus software allowed includes: AVG, McAfee, Microsoft Security Essentionals and many more.
Linux and Macintosh OS X computers upon connection to University's network will be asked to download and install a small Bradford Network Access program; this is the only current requirement.