The University of Findlay Equestrian Studies Program provides an opportunity for students to bring their horses to school to learn along with them. This can strengthen the partnership between horse and rider and help both enhance skills needed for everyday riding and in the show ring.
If you decide to bring your family-owned horse, please review the following requirements.
- Submit a video of horse and rider for approval.
- Video must show horse at the walk, jog and lope in both directions, picking up leads easily, neck reining, a 360 in each direction, backing up, and simple or flying lead changes in both directions. Video should be submitted to: The University of Findlay, Attention: Cindy Morehead, 14700 US 68, Findlay, OH 45840.
- Horse must be owned by the student or a family member.
- Submit a copy of the registration papers.
- Submit a copy of the negative coggins.
- Provide name of insurance company, policy number and phone number.
A packet of all necessary paperwork will sent upon approval of the horse by Cindy Morehead.
$15.09/day for board. This rate is subject to change at the beginning of each semester based on our costs for hay, grain and bedding. We pride ourselves on providing the finest feeds and bedding for your horse, which sometimes requires us to receive these commodities from outside our geographical area.
You will be notified in July and the beginning of December of any changes in the current board rates.
Veterinary care and farrier services are not included in the boarding cost.
Prior to arrival, your horse must have all vaccinations completed. The required vaccinations include the following:
- Flu Avert I.N.® Influenza - 10 to 30 days before arrival.
- Rhinomune® vaccine - 10 to 30 days before arrival.
- Strangles - an initial vaccination at least 10 days before arrival, or a booster within the year prior to arrival.
- Tetanus - within the year prior to arrival.
- Deworming - 60 days prior to arrival (please deworm with Ivermectin). Your horse will be dewormed every 60 days if not on Strongid C® - once if on Strongid C®
- Coggins - a copy of your horse's negative coggins, dated within the last year, is required for our files.
If the above requirements are not completed prior to arrival, your horse will be placed in quarantine and vaccinated. A quarantine fee of $200 will be added to your account, plus the veterinary costs for the vaccinations given. You will be charged $20/day board for the time your horse is quarantined (10 day maximum).
See a year-by-year overview of the western program
If you have any questions about saddles, other items on the list, or are unable to obtain any of these items in your area, please call Cindy Morehead, freshman instructor, at 419-434-6361, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.