130 Years and Counting
1882 – Founded as Findlay College by the Churches of God,
General Conference (then Churches of God in North America) and the citizens of
the city of Findlay.
1883 - Work on the foundation walls and basement began in the
fall. Foundation rock was hauled by horse and wagon to the College
grounds. Limestone, cut stone, brick and
lumber from the local area were all used in the construction of Old Main.
1884 - While it was
under construction, the building suffered from vandals who punched holes
through the plastering and defaced the walls.
1884 – Rev. John R. H. Latchaw was hired as president by the
Churches of God, and charged to raise funds, supervise the college grounds,
develop the curriculum, hire a faculty and recruit students. He served until
1885 - After completing the masonry and roofing by December
1884, Old Main lay dormant for a year for lack of funds to complete it.
1886 - Findlay College opened on Sept. 1, 1886, with the
first 70 students holding classes on the third floor, while carpenters
completed the first and second floors.
1887 – A brick sidewalk along Main Street was laid in late
October, with students doing the excavation work. It was paid for by local
1890 - A gymnasium was added in the basement. In 1903, the gym was moved to the southeast
wing of the first floor. The floor
between the first and second stories was removed to give more space to play basketball.
1890 – A conservatory of music opened.
1890 – Arbor Day held April 22 in which 200 trees were
planted on campus.
1892 – Black and orange were adopted as the school colors.
1893 – Findlay College purchased the Findlay Business
College and the Conservatory of Music.
1893 – Rev. William N. Yates, an 1891 graduate of Findlay
College, became president and served until 1895.
1895 – Dr. Charles T. Fox, academic dean, served as acting
president until 1896 when Rev. Charles Manchester was named the fourth
president of Findlay College. Manchester
served until 1904.
1904 – Rev. Charles I. Brown was named president and served
1905-06 - A steam heating plant was installed and Old Main
was completely rewired.
1912 - The tower, which had begun to settle, was lowered
nearly two stories because it was deemed unstable.
1912 – Findlay’s first “night school” was listed in the
1912 - The College Church of God, which held worship
services in Old Main, remodeled the chapel (now Ritz Auditorium) by adding an
elevated floor, enlarging the platform and installing new lights. Three windows on the west wall of the chapel
were bricked up. The College provided
the new opera chairs by asking alumni and friends to contribute $2 per chair.
1913 – Rev. William H. Harris Guyer became president and
served until his death on July 22, 1926, the only Findlay president to die in
office. He received a degree from Findlay College in 1925.
1923 - The Griffith Memorial Arch was erected directly in
front of Old Main as a memorial to Caddie Griffith ’09, a former student and faculty
member, who died of intestinal flu. It was donated by her parents, who lived on
Frazer Street and were active members of the College Church of God.
1925 – The Physical Culture Hall was constructed, including
a basketball court, showers, dressing rooms and lockers. It was named Renninger
Gymnasium in 1982 in honor of former professor, coach and athletic director
Donald Renninger ’40.
1926 – Dr. Charles T. Fox, academic dean, served as acting
president upon the death of President William Guyer, until Harvey L. Allen was
appointed president later that year.
Allen served until 1929.
1929 – Homer R. Dunathan, a 1917 graduate of Findlay
College, succeeded Harvey Allen as president.
Dunathan served until 1943 when he took a three-year leave of absence to
serve in the U.S. Navy during World War II.
1931 – Findlay College was admitted to the Ohio College
Association, achieving state accreditation.
1933 – Findlay College was accredited by the North Central
1933 – The Carrothers Home, the official residence of the
President located at 1115 North Main St., was built. It was named after an early benefactor and
trustee, George Carrothers, who had donated a frame house as the home of the
President in 1907.
1938 - A fire broke out in the basement of Old Main at
approximately 1 a.m. on May 27. Although
mostly confined to the basement and first floor from the main entrance south,
fire reached the third floor. The entire
building suffered smoke and heat damage. Damage was estimated at $75,000 and the
cause was never determined.
1938 - Repair and remodeling as a result of the fire
included replacing wooden floors with steel girders and concrete. The north and south stairwells were
completely enclosed and new ground floor exits were built. The building was rewired, plumbing was
improved and a new radiation heating system installed. The entire interior was repainted, mostly in
two-color combinations of light green, with the hallways in buff and ivory. The ceilings were white.
1942 – Findlay College established the Winebrenner Graduate
School of Divinity and the Music Conservatory closed.
1943 – Carroll A. Morey, academic dean, served as acting
president until 1947 during President Dunathan’s leave of absence to serve in
World War II.
1947 – Dr. H. Clifford Fox, a 1920 graduate of Findlay
College, was appointed as president, and he served until 1959.
1948 – The North Central Association rescinded Findlay
College’s accreditation, primarily for an insufficient endowment and gift
income, low faculty salaries, a weak library and lack of adequate dormitories.
1955-56 -The first major alteration to Old Main was the
extension of the first floor toward the west to accommodate an additional
25,000 volumes for the library.
1955 – Myers Residence Hall for men was built.
1957 - A student union, called “The Cave,” was located in
the basement of Old main under the new library extension.
1959 – The women acquired a residence hall with the
construction of Lovett Hall.
1959 – Dr. Ollie J. Wilson was appointed as president, and
he served until 1963.
1961 – The Alumni Memorial Union, with a 600-seat cafeteria,
and the William B. Brewer Science Hall were added to campus.
1961 – The graduate school was separated from Findlay
College in June to become Winebrenner Theological Seminary.
1962 – The North Central Association awarded Findlay College
1962 – An addition to Alumni Memorial Union extended the
lounge 21 feet to the west, the Cave 30 feet to the north and added what is now
the Endly Room at the northeast corner.
1963 – The Egner Fine Arts Center opened, with the theatre
completed in 1964; and Morey Residence Hall for men was built.
1964 – Dr. Ivan E. Frick, a 1949 graduate of Findlay
College, was appointed as president, and he served until 1971.
1966 – Fox Residence Hall for men opened.
1966 – The North Central Association lifted probationary
status and allowed Findlay College full accreditation.
1968 – Shafer Library opened with President and Mrs. Ivan
Frick, 53 faculty members and 460 students moving approximately 55,000 books
from the library in Old Main to the new building.
1969 – Croy Physical Education Center opened with a
gymnasium and the Sink Natatorium and Deming Residence Hall for women was added
to Lovett Hall, which included Henderson Dining Hall.
1970 – Bare Residence Hall for men was constructed.
1971 – The College’s first radio station, WVFC-AM began
broadcasting on campus.
1971 – Dr. Louis Chenette, assistant academic dean, served
as acting president.
1972 – Dr. Glen Rasmussen was named a president, and he
served until 1983.
1973 – The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) approved
an FM license for WVGC-AM, which began broadcasting as WLFC-FM 88.3 on Nov. 1
with 10 watts.
1975 - Findlay introduced the Intensive English Language
Institute for international students to campus.
1976 – The first “niche” program was established with the
beginning of the equestrian studies program, focusing on western riding.
1977 – The Students in Free Enterprise team was established,
which went on to earn national championships four times.
1979 – Findlay, which had offered night classes throughout
most of its history, began one of Ohio’s first weekend college programs.
1979 – The Oilers football team won the NAIA Division II
1981 – Findlay’s validation program in bilingual
multicultural teacher education was the first to be certified in Ohio.
1981 - The Alumni Board of Governors adopted the chapel in
Old Main as a centennial observance project.
Alumni and friends donated about 1,500 hours of labor. Improvements included refinishing the floor,
painting, hanging three chandeliers from the ceiling and adding eight pan
lights along the walls. Alumni contributed $50 per chair for reupholstering the
original 1912 opera chairs. Cost of the renovation was more than $36,000.
1982 - The chapel was rededicated in January and named Ritz
Auditorium in honor of Harriette Smith Ritz and her late husband, Dr. Gale
Ritz, who both had taught at Findlay College.
1982 – Findlay established a one-of-a-kind pre-veterinary
medicine program in which students gain practical, hands-on experience with
horses, livestock and small animals, beginning with the freshman year.
1982 – The Mazza Collection of original artwork from
children’s picture books was founded with four pieces valued at $1,700.
1983 – Dr. Kenneth E. Zirkle was appointed as president, and
he served until 2003, the longest tenure of any Findlay president.
1983 –Fall enrollment was 1,281 students.
1984 – Findlay acquired the Nuclear Medicine Institute from
Hillcrest Hospital in Cleveland and purchased the western equestrian farm on
Hancock CR 40 from Dale Wilkinson.
1986 – Findlay established the nation’s first bachelor’s
degree in hazardous waste management. With an updated curriculum, the program
is now called environmental, safety and occupational health management.
1988 – Fall enrollment topped 2,000 for the first time with
2,075 students (full-time and part-time).
1989 – A Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of
Other Languages (TESOL) and Bilingual Education was instituted.
1989 – On July 1 the institution changed its name from
Findlay College to The University of Findlay in recognition of the growth in
programs and number of students and the addition of graduate programming.
1989 – After nearly two decades of no construction on
campus, the second era of campus expansion began with the addition of the Phil
Gardner Fitness Center.
1989 – The Environmental Resource Training Center opened on
State Route 12 east of Findlay, with a second facility on the main campus in
1990 - The front lawn of Old Main was renovated. The old
driveway and original brick sidewalk were removed. Griffith Memorial Arch was
moved and reconstructed 30 feet farther back from Main Street, with the archway
inscribed with the institution’s new name, “The University of Findlay.” A new
semi-circle drive, wide sidewalks and extensive landscaping were installed.
College Street was closed and landscaped, as well.
1990 – Extensive improvements to campus were highlighted by
the renovation of the Alumni Memorial Union. The outdoor courtyard became an
enclosed, sunlit atrium, solariums were added to the bookstore and the Cave,
three conference rooms and an office were added on the east side of the
building, the Endly Room was expanded, the game room was enlarged, and the
Evans Dining Room and the Student Activities Office were added to the south
side. Old Main was brought up to current code and made handicapped accessible
with the addition of an elevator. Other campus improvements included putting a
new hardwood floor in Croy Gymnasium, adding parking lots, and putting an
addition on the Carrothers Home for the President that provided a spacious
great room for entertaining, a remodeled basement entertainment space, screened
porch and deck.
1991 – The Kenneth L. Frost Science Center was added to the
William B. Brewer Science Hall.
1992 – Enrollment surpassed 3,000 in fall 1992 with 3,284
students (full-time and part-time) attending classes.
1992 – The Oiler football team won a second NAIA Division II
1992 – English riding was added to the curriculum in
addition to western riding, with the expanded facilities at the James L. Child
Jr. Equestrian Complex, which opened in 1993 to accommodate the popular English
1992 – A Master's of Arts in Education, focusing on teacher
leadership and technology, was established.
1992 – Henderson Dining Hall was expanded.
1993 – A Master's of Business Administration degree was added,
designed to provide practical knowledge combined with convenient scheduling on
weekends for students who are employed full-time.
1995 – A third floor was added to Frost Science Center.
1994 – The Virginia B. Gardner Fine Arts Pavilion was
constructed to house the visual arts programs and the Mazza Museum.
1994 – A Master's of Science in Environmental, Safety and
Health Management was founded.
1995 – Occupational therapy and physical therapy programs
opened as weekend college degree completion programs.
1995 – The Roughnecks won the NAIA national wrestling
championship and the Oilers won the NAIA Division II national football
championship for a third time.
1997 – Continued growth brought the fall enrollment head count
to 4,018 students.
1997 – The Edward and Joyce Brewer Center for Health
Sciences opened with the technologically enhanced W. Robert and Marilyn Y.
Brewer Lecture Hall.
1997 – The Oilers scored a fourth NAIA Division II national
1998 – The Dr. Frank R. and Mary Jane Cosiano Health Center
on West Foulke Avenue and the Glenn and Helen Stout Alumni Center on North Cory
1998 - Classes were first offered for the intergenerational
program, the only associate degree and certification in intergenerational
studies through a college of teacher education in the United States. The
Marilyn and Gordon Macklin Institute for Intergenerational Studies incorporated
the academic program with a Lifelong Educational Center, which allowed children
six weeks to 12 years old to interact with senior adults in a care facility.
1999 – The Ralph and Gladys Koehler Fitness and Recreation
Complex opened, containing the Robert Malcolm Athletic Center and the Wilbur
and Maxine Clauss Ice Arena.
1999 – The MBA is the first program at Findlay to be offered
entirely over the Web.
2000 – The Physician Assistant Program was accredited.
Occupational therapy and physical therapy became master’s degree programs in
accordance with the mandates of their professional societies.
2000 – The MBA, Master's of Science in Environmental, Safety
and Health Management, and the business and environmental science degree
completion programs were all offered as degrees that could be taken entirely
2001 - The Master's of Arts in Liberal Studies was accredited
by the Ohio Board of Regents.
2001 – The MBA program was named one of 39 “Best of the
Online Grad Programs” by U.S. World &
News Report and UF was named one of “America’s Most Wired Colleges” by
Yahoo! Internet Life and Peterson’s.
2001 – The capital campaign, “Working Together for
Tomorrow,” was completed with a record $36.8 million in gifts.
2001 – The hospitality management major was added.
2001 – The English and western equestrian teams both won
national titles at the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association competition.
2001 – The Dennis A. Zahler Townhouses apartments were built.
2002 – Front lawn was re-landscaped as a gift from UF
trustee Richard Hollington and his wife, Sally. The theatre and lobby were
renovated and named for John and Hester Powell Grimm in the Egner Center for
the Performing Arts. Also, land was acquired for the Russ & Peg Armstrong
Sports Complex and University Townhouses were added.
2002 – The freshman orientation service project was begun,
which became an annual event with the entire freshman class participating in
community service projects on the Saturday before fall classes begin.
2003 – The Master's of Athletic Training (MAT) degree was
– Winebrenner Theological Seminary opened a new facility on North Main Street,
adjacent to The University of Findlay campus. Facilities and services are
shared between the two institutions to gain cost savings and better serve
– The former Winebrenner Village was acquired by The University of Findlay and
converted for use as residence rooms, administrative offices, and kitchen and
dining facilities for the hospitality management program.
– Henderson Dining Hall was renovated and enlarged by 2,338 square feet,
increasing seating capacity from 320 to 509.
– The Marilyn & Gordon Macklin Institute for Intergenerational Studies on
July 1 became a not-for-profit organization housed at Birchaven Retirement
Village in Findlay.
2003 – Dr. DeBow Freed was named as president by the Board of Trustees.
– The Concert & Lecture Series premiered with a performance by the Toledo
Symphony in January.
– The Mazza Museum kicked off a $2.2 million capital campaign in February for a
nearly 10,000-square-foot education addition, with a completion goal of 2007 to
coincide with the museum’s 25th anniversary.
– Hancor Inc. donated 30 acres of wooded land as a nature preserve, which is
adjacent to the James L. Child Jr. Equestrian Complex.
– The arena at the Center for Equine and Pre-Veterinary Studies was named for
Dale E. Wilkinson, one of the founders of UF’s Western Equestrian Program.
– Six new professional-grade tennis courts were constructed at the Russ and Peg
Armstrong Sports Complex, which is available to both students and the
– A new major in forensic science was offered in the fall.
– The western equestrian riding team won its second Intercollegiate Horse Show
Association national championship.
– The Master's of Athletic Training and the Master's of Science in Environmental,
Safety and Health Management were accredited by their national accrediting
– Groundbreaking for the Mazza Museum’s educational addition was held in May
after the successful completion of the capital campaign.
– A doctor of pharmacy degree was approved for pre-candidacy status by the
Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, the first step in a three-step
– The University acquired the adjacent former Findlay campus of Owens Community
College on Davis Street and renovated the 60,000-square-foot facility to
accommodate the College of Education, the School of Pharmacy and the biology
– A new arena for western riding was added to the Center for Equine &
– The University of Findlay celebrated its 125th year with a number
of events and special exhibits, beginning with a “Living History” presentation
sponsored by the founding Churches of God, General Conference, and a Founding
Day celebration on Feb. 7. Celebration festivities concluded at Homecoming
weekend Oct. 12-14.
– The first Symposium for Scholarship and Creativity was held April 17, which
included the annual student awards ceremony, alumni speakers representing each
of the five colleges and more than 70 students presenting research and creative
– A 9,000-square-foot addition to the Virginia B. Gardner Fine Arts Pavilion
provided additional space for the Mazza Museum. Dedicated on May 4, the new
wing included a classroom, children’s art studio, art resource library, storage
vault, preservation and restoration center, and a gift gallery.
– The western equestrian team captured its third national IHSA title, and the
English equestrian team captured the reserve national championship in May.
– The Pharmacy Program was granted candidate certification by the Accreditation
Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE).
– The 125th Endowed Funds Drive was announced Feb. 7, with the goal
to create 125 new endowed funds to support scholarships, faculty development
and academic programs.
2008 – The Master's
of Physical Therapy degree transitioned to a doctoral degree in the fall with a
2008 – The
undergraduate program in environmental, safety and occupational health
management was accredited by the American Board of Engineering Technology.
2008 – The highly successful pre-veterinary
major was renamed animal science to reflect the broad applications and career
potential in the field.
2009 – The School of Environmental and Emergency
Management (SEEM) was renamed The All Hazards Training Center, continuing to
provide occupational, emergency and security training.
2009 – The University hosted its first Economic
Summit on Feb. 6, 2009, coordinated and hosted by Dennis Foster ’67, and
featured a panel of 18 local and national business experts.
2009 – The Oilers men’s basketball team won the
NCAA Division II national championship in overtime with a score of 53-56 in
Springfield, Mass., on March 28. Ranked number one all season, the team had a
perfect 36-0 record. The team has the most wins in a single season in NCAA
Division II history. Head coach Ron Niekamp earned National Coach of the Year
honors and senior forward Josh Bostic was named the NCAA Division II National
Player of the Year. Assistant coach Charlie Ernst contributed to the team’s
2009 – Faculty and staff moved into the Dr. C.
Richard Beckett Animal Science Building, a new 31,000-square-foot facility that
combines a working barn with a well-equipped academic wing.
2009 – The Corporation for National and
Community Service selected The University of Findlay for a place on the
President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for exemplary
service, the highest federal recognition for service-learning and civic
2009 – The western equestrian team won its
fourth IHSA national championship and the men’s basketball team won the
national NCAA Division II championship.
2009 – Kirby Blackley was named to the NCAA
Today’s Top VIII as one of the top athletes in the nation based on athletic
ability and achievement, academic achievement, and character, leadership and
extracurricular activity involvement.
2009 – The School of Pharmacy transitioned to the
College of Pharmacy, reflecting growth of the program
2009 – Dr. DeBow Freed announced in October that
he would be stepping down as president by July 1, 2010, and a national search
began, headed by Dr. C. Richard Beckett, chair of the Board of Trustees.
2009 – The University of Findlay participated in
Sodexo’s Helping Hands Across America campus competition, collecting 17,825
pounds of food during a 24-hour period on Nov. 12, more than any other college
in the nation. Students, faculty, staff, businesses and community members
helped contribute and the donated food was given to Chopin Hall.
2009 – The $1.9 million estate gift of Emerson
and Laura Pelton created the largest endowed scholarship fund at the
University. The Peltons farmed for many years near Bloomdale, Ohio, and retired
to Arizona. Emerson passed away on Feb. 27, 1999, and Laura died July 5, 2009.
2010 – The Physician Assistant Program
transitioned to a Master's of Physician Assistant and began offering classes in
2010 – Dr. Katherine Rowe Fell was named on
March 25 as the 17th president of The University of Findlay,
effective July 1.
2010 – The western equestrian team won its fifth
IHSA national championship and the English team was named reserve champion.
2010 – The first class of 49 pharmacy students
graduated with the first-professional Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree.
2010 – U.S. News & World Report named The
University of Findlay to the list of “A+ Schools for B Students.”
2010 – The Dr. and Mrs. DeBow Freed Contemporary
Christian Lecture Series was endowed in their honor by donors from the Churches
of God, General Conference, Winebrenner Theological Seminary and The University
2010 – The Clauss Ice Arena in the Koehler
Fitness and Recreation Complex was converted to a student recreation center to
serve the student body with a rock-climbing wall, game room, lounge, two
basketball courts, weight room, racquetball courts and Derrick’s, a casual,
2010 – The University of Findlay was named for
the second consecutive year to the President’s Higher Education Community
Service Honor Roll by the Corporation for National and Community Service for
2010 – A graduate certificate program in health
informatics was established.
2010 – The Glenn and Helen Stout Alumni Center
moved in September from 1316 North Cory St. to a historic, but newly renovated,
house at 1015 North Main St., across from the main campus.
2010 – The “Give Voice to Your Values”
comprehensive campaign was launched publicly on Sept. 30 with a goal of $40
million in private support to fund capital projects for modern learning
environments, endowment support and annual operations. Nearly $20 million was
raised during the campaign’s quiet phase.
2010 – On Oct. 1, Dr. Katherine Fell was
inaugurated as the 17th president of The University of Findlay. The
inauguration was held on the front lawn of Old Main with a community
reception following that evening at the new student recreation center in the
Koehler Fitness and Recreation Complex.
2010 – The campus FM radio station, WLRC 88.3,
increased its station signal from 100 watts to 4,600 watts on Oct. 9 through
the gift of a new antenna in North Baltimore, Ohio, by Toledo Radio LLC.
2010 – Renovation of the Carrothers Home for the
President at 1115 N. Main St. was completed and open houses were held in
December and January. The renovation included a new catering kitchen,
remodeling of the basement for student meetings and activities, and a new
two-car garage as part of an addition on the north side. The grounds were
landscaped to accommodate outdoor entertaining, and off-street parking was
2011 – The purchase of the former Hubbard Press
building, located at the corner of Trenton and Morey Avenues, was announced in
January. The 17,000-square-foot building was renovated to accommodate the
nuclear medicine technology and the clinical laboratory science (formerly
medical technology) programs, as well as new diagnostic imaging programs in
ultrasound and positron emission tomography/computer tomography (PET/CT).
2011 – Julius Coles, former president of
Africare, was the University’s first Woodrow Wilson Visiting Fellow on Feb.
6-11. He gave a public presentation on “Africa in the New Millennium.”
2011 – The first class of 50 students in the
Doctor of Physical Therapy Program graduated in May.
2011 – The College of Pharmacy received full
accreditation for the doctor of pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree from the
Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education in June.
2011 – Construction began on the new science
addition to the Davis Street Building. It will house 12 cutting-edge
laboratories, a computer lab, four high-technology classrooms and a lecture
hall, 15 faculty offices, a conference room and a student lounge.
2011 – Oiler Pointe, at the corner of Morey
Avenue and West Foulke Avenue, was acquired and renovated for fall semester as
the newest housing option for students desiring substance free-living.
2011 – A master's of science in health informatics
was approved in fall 2011.
2011 – Byron Pitts, contributing correspondent
for “60 Minutes” and CBS News chief national correspondent, was the inaugural
speaker on Nov. 4, 2011, for the Dr. and Mrs. DeBow Freed Contemporary
Christian Lecture Series.
2011 – Noted children’s book author and artist
Steven Kellogg donated his life’s work of 2,700 pieces of original artwork to
the Mazza Museum. The acquisition was made possible, in part, by a $350,000
gift from Kellogg’s close friend, Anthony Edwards, the actor best known for his
role as Dr. Mark Greene in the hit television series “ER.” Kellogg was awarded
an honorary doctor of humane letters during a campus visit on Nov. 12.
2011 – The University of Findlay, with help from
community members, faculty, staff and students, collected a record 37,271
pounds of food on Nov. 9 during Sodexo’s Helping Hands Across American food
drive. Donations were given to Chopin Hall in Findlay. UF collected a total of
101,600 pounds since the event began in 2006.
2011 – The campus celebrated reaching the goal
of the 125th Endowed Funds Drive in December, with Ronald and Doris
Niekamp establishing the 125th endowed fund, the Ronald and Doris
Niekamp Basketball Endowment Fund in support of the men’s varsity basketball
2012–Terry and Betty Terhark committed $1 million,
in conjunction with the Give Voice to Your Values Campaign, to upgrade and
update Old Main, where the College of Business is located, to make it more
energy efficient and attractive, and to create a $300,000 endowed scholarship
fund designated for Liberty-Benton High School students attending The
University of Findlay.
2012 – The Thomas and Kathleen Donnell Broadway Concert
Series Endowment Fund, established by the Donnells, along with the James H.
Brannigan Musical Theatre Guest Artist Endowment Fund, established by Peggy
McGinty Brannigan in memory of her husband, were created to bring a second
Broadway guest artist to campus each academic year to provide community
entertainment and opportunities for UF students to learn from accomplished
professionals. The inaugural performance was by Marin Mazzie and Phil Reno on
2012 – The sixth annual Symposium for Scholarship and
Creativity was held on April 12, featuring the University awards ceremony;
honors and awards ceremonies for each of the six colleges, along with
presentations by alumni guest speakers; and presentations and poster sessions
given by more than 300 students demonstrating their research and creative
2012 – Kathleen Norris, poet and bestselling author of
“Cloister Walk,” was the guest speaker for the Dr. And Mrs. DeBow Freed
Contemporary Christian Lecture Series on Sept. 28.
2012 – Dennis and Janice Bishop donated four duplexes on Morey
Avenue adjacent to UF’s University Townhouses, which provide housing for 16
2012 – The Davis Street Building science addition opened in time for fall classes. The 42,000-square-foot addition contains 19 science laboratories, four classrooms, a 105-seat lecture hall, a computer lab, 15 faculty offices, a conference room and a student lounge. The $11 million building is the first to employ extensive green technologies such as geothermal heating and cooling, high-efficiency lighting and a system to mitigate rainwater runoff.
2012 – The Mazza Museum celebrated its 30th
anniversary with a birthday party at Funday Sunday on Oct. 14.
2013 – The Division of Enrollment Management was created, with
the Rebecca Butler named vice president for enrollment management, overseeing
all areas of recruitment and admissions, registration, financial aid, advising,
retention and marketing.
2013 – The master's of arts in rhetoric and writing, a two-year program, was approved in January 2013. UF is one of only two private schools in Ohio to offer the program, which prepares students for careers in teaching in higher education, public relations, communications, law
and marketing, or other fields that require skilled writing ability in digital environments.
2013 – The University of Findlay Board of
Trustees approved in its April 19 meeting an increase in the goal for the Give
Voice to Your Values comprehensive campaign from $40 million to $50 million,
with the intention of raising funds toward the construction of a new classroom
and student life building.
2013 – The Seventh Symposium for Scholarship and Creativity
was held April 17.
2013 – The first Volunteer Advisory Board Summit and
Appreciation Breakfast was held April 20 to recognize those who volunteer as
members of 27 advisory boards associated with The University of Findlay.
2013 – The Egner Center for the Performing Arts underwent a renovation that added a passenger/freight elevator, two single handicap-accessible restrooms and an expanded lobby, bringing the building into ADA compliance. Earl (’48) and Gladys DeLong made a significant contribution
toward the renovation. A dedication was held Sept. 3.
2013 – The Harold “Herk” and Patricia (Gohlke)
Wolfe Center for Alumni, Parents and Friends was established to provide
resources for programming through a $250,000 commitment by the Wolfes. The center
was dedicated Sept. 27 as a part of Homecoming festivities.
2013 – The University of Findlay hosted the
first “Women in Philanthropy” program on Oct. 12 in conjunction with Bowling
Green State University and Otterbein University. The Honorable Betty Montgomery
was the keynote speaker.
2013 – The University of Findlay received in
October two top honors from the 2013 America in Bloom national awards program:
the Outstanding Achievement Award for Environmental Efforts and special mention
for Overall Impression.
2013 – The University of Findlay was recognized
as one of the best colleges to work for by the Chronicle of Higher Education.
UF won honors in the Facilities, Workspace and Security category.
2013 – The College of Business earned
accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
2014 – The College of Business announced the launch of the Institute for Entrepreneurship and Family Business under the direction of Chris Ward, Ed.D., and Dan Yates, Ph.D., both associate professors of business.
2014 – The French ambassador, His Excellency Francois Delattre, visited campus as part of a tour orchestrated by Robert Latta (R-OH) of Ohio’s Fifth Congressional District. He gave an address on “Global Economic Issues and Bilateral Relations."
2014 – The Intensive English Language Program
(IELP) earned accreditation from the Commission of English Language Program
2014 – The University of Findlay launched a Total Degree Cost Calculator™ that allows students to get a comprehensive cost estimate over the length of a chosen academic program that factors in scholarships and financial aid.
2014 – The University of Findlay on Sept. 30 debuted its Sonography Program, housed in the refurbished Diagnostic Services Department.
2014 – It was announced on Oct. 23 that the University was the recipient of a $1.56 million gift from the estates of sisters Marjorie and Mildred McGranahan, Findlay College alumnae and McComb natives. The funding was added to the Marjorie M. McGranahan-Mildred F. McGranahan-Shafer-Van-Dorn Scholarship Endowment Fund.
2014 – UFTV re-launched on Time Warner Cable in December.
2015 – Former U. S. Congressman Michael G. Oxley and his wife, Patricia, on Feb. 18 donated $500,000 toward construction of the University's Center for Student Life and College of Business building.
2015 – The University of Findlay and Cleveland Browns on March 17 announced a unique partnership that provides a variety of student internships via the Browns Edge Partnership, and other experiential opportunities for those interested in learning about and working within the business side of professional sports.
2015 – On April 17, the University's 9th annual Symposium for Scholarship and Creativity was held.