What steps do I need to take to travel outside of the United States?
- Make sure you are registered full-time for the semester you are returning to
- Fill out the Travel Form below, select the appropriate travel reason and attach a PDF copy of your flight schedule to the form
- Come to the Office of International Admissions and Immigration Services to have page two of your I-20 signed - if the travel signature on page two is older than six months
When can I take a break and leave the United States?
We have listed five possible reasons for your travel outside of the U.S. in the form. Please select the scenario that fits your situation best to ensure you are completing everything necessary before your departure.
- Short-Term Visit
You are departing the U.S. and
returning within the same required semester. You do not need to withdraw
from classes. The semester is not your annual vacation.
- Annual Vacation
You are temporarily departing the U.S. during your annual vacation semester. You are not required to register for classes for your annual vacation. All students on an F-1 visa are eligible for a summer break. If you are enrolled in an academic program that operates on a block system, please speak to the Office of International Admissions & Immigration Services at [email protected] or +1(419)434-4558 if you are unsure of your annual break timing.
- Temporary Withdrawal
You are departing the U.S. and need to withdraw from all classes for only one semester.
- Please complete the Leave of Absence Form.
taking a session off to return home must leave by the beginning of the
semester and return no earlier than 30 days prior to the start of your
- Students taking a semester off will have their
SEVIS records Terminated for an Authorized Withdrawal. A correction will
be submitted 30 days prior to your U.S. Return Date as listed on your
flight itinerary to reactivate your SEVIS record.
- Please contact the Office of International Admissions & Immigration Services at [email protected] or +1(419)434-4558 a minimum of 30-60 days before your re-entry to have your SEVIS record activated.
- Long-Term Withdrawal
You are departing the U.S. and need to withdraw from all classes for more than one semester.
- Please complete the Withdrawal Form.
you are outside of the U.S. for more than five months you will need a
new I-20 and a new visa to reenter and continue studies.
- Permanent Withdrawal
You are either departing the U.S. or transferring and do not wish to return to the University of Findlay.
What are the basic requirements for an F-1 student to reenter the United States after traveling abroad?
- A current SEVIS Form I-20 endorsed for travel by our office.
- A current passport valid for at least six months after the date of your reentry and current visa.
- Financial information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses.
- If you are outside of the U.S. for more than five months your SEVIS record will be terminated and your F-1 visa will no longer be valid.
Can I come back into the United States after my term has started?
You will be allowed to reenter but you will need to get your academic advisors permission to come back late.
What if I am unable to register for the term I’m returning to?
Talk to your advisor about getting “paper registered” for the term. You can also register from your home country by contacting your academic advisor. Once you are registered, mail your I-20 to our office, we will sign the I-20 and send it back you.