What is Considered a Burglary or Theft
theft is defined as the taking of someone else’s property, burglary is
defined as the unlawful entry of a structure (such as a residence hall
room) to commit a felony or theft. Burglaries most often result from the failure to lock room doors.
What to do:
- Remember, do not touch anything. You may be disturbing evidence left by the intruder.
- Notify the Security Office, Resident Director or Resident Assistant immediately.
- Wait for security or law enforcement to arrive.
- Write down all missing items, time
frame of the occurrence and any suspects you may have. Give this
information to the staff or security officer.
- Please check with your insurance
company (or that of your parents) to find out if your possessions would
be insured in a case of theft. Many insurance agencies will include your
possessions on a homeowner’s policy.
If you are insured,
your insurance company may require a police or security report of the
theft. Security officers will assist you in contacting the police in
cases of theft or vandalism.