The mission of the Online Master of Science in Health Informatics Program is to prepare individuals to influence the future of healthcare through the use of technology.
Program Goals and Objectives
Goal: Graduates will apply their theoretical knowledge and technical skills to drive integrated clinical and administrative decision-making.
- Students will demonstrate the knowledge and skills to be an independent entry-level practitioner as evidenced by mastery of the CAHIIM Curricular Components.
- Students will apply the theoretical knowledge learned in the classroom to the healthcare setting.
- Students will demonstrate an organized thought process and be able to analyze necessary information to make sound judgments based on a theoretical framework and adaptable to a variety of situations.
- Students will demonstrate a strong work ethic.
Goal: Graduates will draw from and apply into their professional practice all of the following: ethical standards; accreditation guidelines; statutes and regulations; and privacy, security, and confidentiality guidelines.
- Students will model the AHIMA Code of Ethics.
- Students will abide by the Professional Practice Experience Affiliation Agreements.
- Students will actively protect patient rights and values.
- Students will develop and defend their position on commonly faced ethical issues faced in the practice of health informatics.
Goal: Graduates will demonstrate effective communication skills in interactions with multidisciplinary and multi-facility professionals.
- Students will be able to effectively communicate and interact with various stakeholders in facilities ranging from small physician offices to large healthcare systems.
- The student will understand the importance of collaboration among a variety of health care professionals and other individuals to produce the best possible clinical and administrative outcomes.
Graduates will conduct independent research to contribute to the body of knowledge and professional practice of health informatics.
- The student will be able to apply research findings to assure currency in the practice and the advancement of theoretical knowledge and practice within their discipline.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use the tenets of evidence-based practice to make informed professional practice decisions.
Goal: Graduates will engage in personal and professional development.
- The student will recognize the importance of becoming an active member of health informatics professional membership organizations.
- The student will utilize opportunities to educate others about the health informatics profession.
- The student will become a lifelong learner and recognize the need for continuing education to remain current in the professional practice of health informatics.