Some equestrian students bring their own horses, while others like the variety of riding several different mounts.
The University of Findlay Equestrian Studies Program provides an opportunity for students to bring their horses to school and learn along with them.
If you are interested in bringing your horse with you to college, the following criteria must be met:
If you wish to use your horse in the English Equestrian Program, it is necessary for our instructors to review a video of you on your horse. This is to ensure that you are able to progress with the rest of your class.
Please review our video submission requirements.
- Student-owned horse used in the program - $13.50 per day.
- Veterinary care and farrier services are not included in boarding cost.
- Student is responsible for the care of their horse including stall cleaning and turnout.
- These rates are subject to change at the beginning of each semester based on hay, grain and sawdust market conditions.
We pride ourselves on providing the finest feeds and bedding for your horse, which sometimes requires us to receive these commodities from outside our geographical area. You will be notified in July and the beginning of December of any changes in the current board rates.
Prior to arrival, your horse must have all vaccinations completed. The required vaccinations include the following:
- Flu Avert I.N.® Influenza - 10 to 30 days before arrival.
- Rhinopneumonitis vaccine - 10 to 30 days before arrival.
- Strangles - The initial strangles protocol calls for a series a two
vaccinations given three weeks apart, with annual booster thereafter.
The most recent booster must have been given within one year prior to
- Tetanus - within the year prior to arrival.
- Deworming - 60 days prior to arrival (please deworm with
Ivermectin). Your horse will be dewormed every 60 days if not on
Strongid C® - once if on Strongid C®
- Coggins - The original negative coggins, dated within the last year, is required for our files.
If the above
requirements are not completed prior to arrival, your horse will be
placed in quarantine and vaccinated. A quarantine fee of $200 will be
added to your account, plus the veterinary costs for the vaccinations
given. You will be charged $20/day board for the time your horse is
quarantined (10 day maximum).
Other Required Information
A current original Coggins test within the last year.
Insurance company’s name, phone number and policy number
A copy of the registration papers
A signed boarding contract (Boarding contract will be mailed with your acceptance letter.)
Completed horse information form (horse information form will be mailed with your acceptance letter).