2016 Western Youth Horsemanship School
Advanced Rider Session (ages 12-18): June 19 - 24, 2016
Students must have an invitation, video or letter of recommendation. Acceptance is based on approval by equestrian staff. Arrive Sunday, school starts on Monday and students depart on Friday.
Novice/Intermediate Session (ages 10-18): June 26 - July 1, 2016
Arrive Sunday, school starts on Monday and students depart on Friday.
The University of Findlay is presenting youth western horsemanship schools to further educate interested riders. The school offers the same techniques that are taught in the University’s Western Equestrian Studies Program.
What to expect as a camper:
- Instruction is given by Clark Bradley, Steve Brown, Art O'Brien, Meri Marsh, Mark Smith, Cindy Moorehead and Spencer Zimmerman and their assistants. Click here to view their profiles.
- Instruction will cover horsemanship, western pleasure, showmanship and the fundamentals of reining.
- Each student will work with their own horse under the personal supervision of the equestrian staff.
- Lectures and demonstrations will be given daily to enhance each student's skills.
- Along with individual and class instruction, there will be evening video analysis to review each rider's progress.
- Students will also participate in recreational activities on UF's main campus.
Tuition: $625 (a $200 non-refundable deposit is required)
Included in the cost is the following:
- Room and meals
- Group photo
- Horse board
- Transportation to and from the farm
- Riding Instruction
If you would like to bring your horse
Vaccination and equipment information:
The following are required for all horses (bring records to verify):
- Negative coggins.
- Flu, Rhino, Tetanus and Strangles vaccinations.
- Deworm your horse two weeks before arrival.
- Sawdust, cleaning equipment, water and feed buckets are provided by the university.
- You may bring your own feed.
- Parking is available if you prefer to leave your trailer.
Applications are processed on a first come, first
served basis, with limited enrollment. Upon acceptance, a confirmation
letter will be sent with further details.
Our application is available by clicking the button below and can be mailed to Kim Deane at the address listed below:
c/o The University of Findlay
14700 US 68
Findlay, Ohio 45840