Doctor of Pharmacy,
Master of Business Administration, Massey University, New Zealand
Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, Albany College of Pharmacy
Dr Andrew Hvizdos received his B.S. in Pharmacy degree from Union
University - Albany College of Pharmacy and completed a 1-year internship at
the Veterans Administration Medical Center, an 1100-bed psychiatric hospital in
Canandaigua, New York. He received his Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the
University of Cincinnati and completed a two-year concurrent ASHP-accredited
hospital pharmacy residency at the Veterans Administration Medical Center in
Cincinnati, Ohio, followed by the completion of a specialty residency in
Psychiatric Pharmacy Practice at the University of Tennessee. In 2002, Dr
Hvizdos was awarded an Executive M.B.A. degree with distinction from Massey University in
Auckland, New Zealand.
Dr Hvizdos began his academic career at the University of
Maryland where he held a joint appointment as Assistant Professor of Clinical
Pharmacy and Director of Pharmacy Services at Spring Grove Hospital Center in
Catonsville, Maryland. During his four years in Maryland, he was also responsible
for implementing changes within the hospital’s pharmacy department that were
critical to eliminating prior Health Care Finance Administration audit
deficiencies that threatened the hospital with decertification and loss of
Dr Hvizdos also has international marketing experience in
medical publishing from his role as Product Group Manager, Adis International,
as well as management experience in a national health research funding agency
from his role as Manager of Research Contracts at the Health Research Council
of New Zealand. At the HRC, he was responsible for the annual contestable funding
round of NZ$40 million to support academic research by individual researchers
and institutional research programs.
Dr Hvizdos comes to the University of Findlay from GlaxoSmithKline
in Auckland, New Zealand where he was Head of Medical Affairs for 9 years. With
17 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry, he has held positions of increasing
responsibility at Princeton Pharmaceutical Products, Bristol-Myers Squibb,
Solvay Pharmaceuticals, and GlaxoWellcome/GSK in a number of therapeutic areas
including psychiatry, neurology, cardiology, metabolics/lipid lowering,
respiratory medicine and vaccines. As Head of Medical Affairs at GSK-NZ, he was
responsible for medical information, pharmacovigilance, and medical review and
approval of all promotional material related to GSK pharmaceutical and
biological products, including product brochures, medical advertisements, and
patient and medical education materials.
With his return to the United States and to academia, Dr
Hvizdos is excited about the opportunity to give back to the profession by
sharing with students that which he has been privileged to experience in his
pharmacy career. In doing so, he hopes that students will be that much more
aware of the tremendous opportunities that lie ahead for them, both
domestically and internationally, as they develop their professional careers.
Dr Hvizdos also maintains a clinical practice in Findlay at
Century Health, Inc. as a Clinical Psychiatric Pharmacist. In this role, his
goal is to be able to contribute effectively to the well-being of those
individuals who suffer from mental illness, and to serve as a role model for
the students who might train with him at the clinic.
Board Certified Psychiatric Pharmacist (BCPP)
Licensed Pharmacist in Ohio, New York, and South Carolina
APhA Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery provider and instructor
Basic Life Support provider and instructor
Advanced Life Support provider and instructor
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone
monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others. (Pericles)
College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists – 2011 to present
of Colleges of Pharmacy – 2011 to present
Ohio Pharmacists Association - 2011 to present
College of Clinical Pharmacy – 1993 to present
Society of Health-System Pharmacists – 1976 to present
Information Association – 1991 to present
National Pharmacy Honorary Society – 1977 to present
- Hvizdos AJ. The use of ketamine in the acute management of depression. US Pharmacist. 2016;41(11):HS-28-HS32.
- Hvizdos AJ, Mosler CM. Current perspectives on multiple sclerosis. US Pharmacist. 2016;41(1):22-26.
- Hvizdos, PharmD, MBA AJ. "Levomilnacipran: a new serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor for major depressive disorder" (update). In: DiPiro JT, Talbert RL, Yee GC, Matzke GR, Wells BG, Posey LM, eds. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach. 8th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2013. http://www.accesspharmacy.com/updatesContent.aspx?aid=4000315. Accessed October 29, 2013.
- Hvizdos AJ. "GLYX-13 – Advancing a novel mechanism for the rapid treatment of depression" (update). In: DiPiro JT, Talbert RL, Yee GC, Matzke GR, Wells BG, Posey LM, eds. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach. 8th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2013. http://www.accesspharmacy.com/updatesContent.aspx?aid=4000292. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- Hvizdos, BSPharm, PharmD, MBA, BCPP AJ. "New insights into the cardiovascular safety of stimulants in children with ADHD." In: DiPiro JT. DiPiro J.T. Ed. Joseph T. DiPiro.eds. Updates: Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2011. http://accesspharmacy.mhmedical.com/ updatesContent.aspx?bookid=536&Sectionid=62105165. Accessed October 30, 2014.
- Hvizdos AJ, Seidehamel RJ. Buspirone, anxiety, and sleep. (Letter). American Journal of Psychiatry. 1993;150:845.
- Gammans RE, Stringfellow JC, Hvizdos AJ, Seidehamel RJ, Cohn JB, Wilcox CS, Fabre LF, Pecknold JC, Smith WT, Rickels K. Use of buspirone in patients with generalized anxiety disorder and coexisting depressive symptoms. A meta-analysis of eight randomized, controlled studies. Neuropsychobiology. 1992;25(4):193-201.
- Hvizdos AJ, Bennett JA, Wells BG, Rappaport KB, Mendel SA. Anticholinergic psychosis in a patient receiving usual doses of haloperidol, desipramine and benztropine. Clinical Pharmacy. 1983;2:174‑8.
- Sidley A, Hvizdos A. Oral vs. long-acting injectable antipsychotics: Comparative dosing and adherence with scheduled office visits in a community mental health center. Poster session presented at: College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists 2016 Annual Meeting. Colorado Springs, CO. April 17-20, 2016.
- Rollins BL, Bhutada NS, Crawford C, Hvizdos A. Consumer use of social media for health care and drug information: An exploratory study. American Pharmacists Association (APhA) National Meeting. San Diego, CA. March 2015.
- Hvizdos A, Minehart M, Stough K, Wilder K, Rollins BL. The use of social media platforms by pharmaceutical companies for Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) Advertising. Poster session presented at: Association for Marketing and Health Care Research (AMHCR). Steamboat Springs, CO. February 2015.
- Triscari C, Hvizdos A, Sekar P. Assessment of the stigma of mental illness among University of Findlay healthcare students. Poster session presented at: College of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists 2014 Annual Meeting. Phoenix, AZ. April 27-30, 2014.
- Hvizdos A, Sheybani T. An evaluative study of the treatment of neuroleptic-induced extrapyramidal symptoms Poster session presented at: ASHP Annual Meeting, Reno, Nevada, June 4, 1985.
- Hvizdos A, Rawls N, Nichols W, Wells B. The level of pharmacy practice and job satisfaction among Pharmacists in community mental health centers. Poster session presented at: ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, Los Angeles, California, December 8, 1982.
- Hvizdos A, Greiner G, Bennett J, Marshall L, Hartford J. A method for evaluating psychotropic prescribing in geriatric patients. Poster session presented at: ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, December 1981.
- Hvizdos A, Bennett J, Rappaport K, Mendel S. Anticholinergic psychosis in a patient receiving therapeutic doses of haloperidol, desipramine, and benztropine. Poster session presented at: ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting, San Francisco, California, December 1980.
- Perry L, Hvizdos A. APhA Immunization Certification Program for Pharmacists. University of Findlay College of Pharmacy. Findlay, OH. March 7, 2016, March 4, 2016 and May 29, 2015.
- Hvizdos AJ. New drugs for the treatment of depressive and bipolar disorders. Amerisource Bergen Thoughtspot Conference, Las Vegas, NV. July 28, 2016.
- Sidley A, Hvizdos A. Oral vs. long-acting injectable antipsychotics: Comparative dosing and adherence with scheduled office visits in a community mental health center. Poster session presented at: The University of Findlay 10th Annual Symposium for Scholarship & Creativity. Findlay, OH. April 1, 2016.
- Hvizdos A, Schneider R, Reardon G. Use of Splashtop Whiteboard and Camtasia Studio to produce online lectures. 2nd Annual UF Teaching Symposium, Findlay, OH. March 12, 2016.
- Bundy B, Hvizdos A. Advancement in assessment and management of psychiatric disorders. University of Findlay College of Pharmacy Grand Rounds Series, Findlay, OH. February 24, 2016.
- Perry L, Hvizdos A. APhA Immunization Certification Program for Pharmacists. University of Findlay College of Pharmacy. Comfort Suites Hotel, Cincinnati, OH. October 23, 2015.
- Minehart M, Stough K, Wilder K, Hvizdos AJ, Rollins BL. Social media and direct-to-consumer (DTCA) prescription advertising: an analysis of pharmaceutical manufacturer utilization. Poster session presented at: The University of Findlay 8th Annual Symposium for Scholarship & Creativity. Findlay, OH. April 2, 2014.
- Triscari C, Hvizdos A, Sekar P. Assessment of the stigma of mental illness among University of Findlay healthcare students. Poster session presented at: The University of Findlay 8th Annual Symposium for Scholarship & Creativity. Findlay, OH. April 2, 2014.
- Hvizdos A. Biomedical components of stress and mental illness. Presented at the NAMI of Hancock County conference: Biologic Components of Stress & Mental Illness: From Theory to Practice.; Findlay, OH. Feb 26, 2014.
- Hvizdos A. Headaches: Migraines and more. Pharmacist continuing education presentation at Medco/Express Scripts, Las Vegas, Nevada, November 4, 2012.
- Hvizdos A. Paediatric vaccine development and implementation. NZ Hospital Pharmacy Technicians Association, Auckland, November 22, 2008
- Hvizdos A. Overview of GSK vaccines. Immunisation and Advisory Centre, Auckland, April 24, 2008
- Hvizdos A. Mental health services - A different perspective on prescribing. OMRO Conference (Optimising Medicine Related Health Outcomes), Wellington NZ, October 3, 2000
- Hvizdos A. Clinical review of fluvoxamine. California Medi-Cal Drug Formulary Committee, Sacramento, California, July 24, 1997
- Hvizdos A. Fluvoxamine overview and its use in depression. Central State Hospital, Petersburg, Virginia, June 18, 1997
- Hvizdos A. Clinical review of fluvoxamine. HealthSource, Inc., Chattanooga, Tennessee, May 13, 1997
- Hvizdos A. Serotonin, buspirone, and flesinoxan review and update. Solvay Pharmaceuticals Inc., October 9, 1996
- Hvizdos A. Anxiety 2000: New directions, new challenges. Solvay Pharmaceuticals Inc., February 6, 1996