Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration with a Concentration in Finance, The University of Tennessee
Master of Science in Finance, Syracuse University
Master of Art in Economics, University of Tennesse, Knoxville
Master of Business Administration, Seoul National University
Bachelor's of Business Administration, Seoul National University
Prior to joining The University of Findlay in 2004, Dr. Song had over 6 years of professional experience in the business and research sectors. He previously served as a staff reporter at a nation-wide business newspaper, the Maeil Business Newspaper (http://www.mk.co.kr/) (1994-1998) and a researcher at the LG Economic Research Institute in South Korea (http://english.lgeri.co.kr/) (1993-1994). Areas of specialty at the newspaper and the research institute were security markets and macro-finance. While working for the newspaper company, he participated in several research projects with the McKinsey Global Institute, the Booz-Allen & Hamilton, and the Monitor Company. In addition, he is one of the coauthors of several professional books associated with the stock market in South Korea.
Dr. Song is a Certified Financial Risk Manager (FRM) and a Certified Management Accountant (CMA). He is also a CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) charter holder. He is a member of the Global Association of Risk Professionals (http://www.garp.org), the Institute of Management Accountants (http://www.imanet.org), and the CFA Institute (http://www.cfainstitute.org).Research Interests:
His current research interests are in the areas of Asset Pricing, Behavioral Finance, Equity& Fixed Income Investments, and Financial Risk Management.
Research Project: Knowledge-led Growth Strategies, participating in co-research team with arch Project: Knowledge-led Growth Strategies, participating in co-research team with Seoul office of Monitor Company, February 1998 – July 1998
- Research Project: Analyses of Productivity of Korean Economy, participating in co-research team with Seoul office of McKinsey & Company (McKinsey Global Institute), January 1998 – March 1998
- Research Project: A Report on Korean Economy, participating in co-research team with Seoul office of Booz-Allen & Hamilton, February 1997 – October 1997
- Research Project: Education Systems of the U.S.A and Europe, participating in co-research team with POSCO Management Research Institute, September 1997 – October 1997
- Research Project: Comparative Analyses of International Stock Exchange Markets, participating in co-research team with the Ministry of Finance and Economy, Korea and Korea Securities Research Institute (www.ksri.org), October 1996 –November 1996
- Stock Price Impact of Analysts’ Opinion and Their Reputation: Evidence from Online Dissemination of Analysts’ Opinion, Journal of Finance Issues, Vol 15, Issue 2, Fall 2016.
- Stock Price Reaction to Brokerage Firms' Recommendation Updates on YAHOO! FINANCE, 2016 Academy of Finance, April, 2016.
- Leadership and undergraduate student: A Study Across Disciplines and a Plan for The Future, Business Education Innovation Journal, Vol. 7, No. 2, December 2015.
- The Impact of Leadership Roles and Internships on Undergraduate Business Major Field Test (MFT) Scores, Contemporary Issues in Education Research, Fourth Quarter, Vol. 7, No. 4, 2014.
- Blending Research And Teamwork To Enhance Undergraduate Education: Results From National Survey Of Student Engagement And Business ETS Major Field Test, American Journal of Business Education, Vol. 5, May/June, 2012
Asymmetric Impact of News on Stock Return Volatility: Banking and Capital Markets: New International Perspectives (ISBN: 978-981-4273-60-2, World Scientific Publishing Press/Imperial Press), July 2010
- Have We Resolved the Issues Regarding International Capital Structure? Empirical Evidence from the Companies of 30 OEC Countries (ISBN978-3-8383-7309-6, Lambert Academic Publishing), June 2010
Exploring the relationship between student engagement and common business knowledge: A pilot study, Journal of College Teaching & Learning, Vol. 2, December 2009
Technical Variables: Stock Prices, Volatility, Volume, and an Algorithm for Selling Pressure: The Case of Internet-Posted Recommendations, published in edited CD-proceeding from the 2004 MFA conference, 2004.
Revisiting Variations in International Capital Structure: Empirical Evidence from 16 OECD Countries, published in edited CD-proceeding from the 2004 MFA conference, 2004
Revisiting Variations in International Capital Structure, published in the electronic proceedings of the SSGRR 2003s Conference
A Report on Knowledge Management (The Maeil Business Newspaper Press, Seoul), 1998
- Comparative Analyses of International Stock Markets” (The Maeil Business Newspaper Press, Seoul), 1997
Essays on International Stock Markets (The Maeil Business Newspaper Press, Seoul), 1996
Paper Presentations (Selected):
- Stock Price Reaction to Brokers’ Recommendation Updates and Their Quality, presented at 2017 Southwestern Finance Association Conference, March, 2017 (Little Rock, AR)
Stock Price Impact of Analysts’ Opinion and Their Reputation: Evidence from Online Dissemination of the Opinion, presented at 2016 Academy of Finance Conference, April, 2016 (Chicago, IL)
- From the Classroom to the Journal and Back: Using the Teacher-Scholar Model to Publish and Improve Student Success, with Chris Ward, Dan Yates, presented at 2015 MBAA International Conference, March, 2015 (Chicago, IL)
- Blending Research And Teamwork To Enhance Undergraduate Education: Results From NSSE and Business, with Chris Ward, Dan Yates, accepted for presentation at the 2012 Orlando International Business & Economics Conference, January 2012 (Orlando, FL)
- Examining The Relationship Between The National Survey of Student Engagement and The ETS Business Major Field Test, presented at 2010 International College Teaching & Learning (ITLC) Conferences in October, 2010 (Las Vegas, NV)
- Exploring the relationship between student engagement and common business knowledge: A pilot study, with Chris Ward, Dan Yates, presented and won the best paper award at 2009 College Teaching & Learning Conference (TLC) (Las Vegas, NV)
Asymmetric Impact of News on Stock Return Volatility, presented at 2008 Midwest Finance Association Annual Conference (San Antonio, TX)
- Do We Fully Exploit the Market Data?:A Joint Combination of Stock Prices and Trading Volume, presented at the 2007 Financial Management Association Conference (Orlando, FL)
- The Variations in International Capital Structure, with George C. Philippatos, presented and recognized as an outstanding paper at the 2004 EFA annual conference (Mystic, CT)
A Computational Algorithm for the Joint Behavior of Stock Prices and Volume: The Case of Internet-Posted Recommendations, with Phillip Daves, presented at the 2004 EFA annual meetings (Mystic, CT)
Honors & Awards (Selected):
- Shiv Gupta Award for Excellence in Teaching, April 2014
- Best Paper Award at 2009 College Teaching & Learning Conference, 2009
- Outstanding Paper Award, The Eastern Finance Association (EFA), 2004