​​​Frequently Asked Questions

When should I apply for financial aid?

We encourage new students to apply after October 1st of their senior year in high school. The sooner the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is filed, the sooner the award letter can be determined.


How do I file the FAFSA?

Go to the FAFSA website. You will need to apply for a FSA ​ID. An FSA ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature.

Students must include The University of Findlay's federal school code number 003045 in the school section of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to ensure that their submitted FAFSA information is accurately transmitted to the University of Findlay from the federal processor.

What kinds of financial aid will Findlay provide?

The University provides both merit - and need-based aid for students.  The merit aid is based on the student's high school ACT or SAT scores. The need-based aid is based on the FAFSA results. Federal and state grants and federal loans may also be available, dependent on the data provided on the FAFSA.

What if my financial circumstances change?

Contact the financial aid office at 419-434-4791. The most common circumstances that we review include loss of parental income, separation or divorce of parent(s), loss of non-taxable income, or death of a parent. If any of these occurs, we encourage you to call us to discuss additional steps for review.

What is verification?

Verification is a confirmation through documentation process designed by the Department of Education to show that the information provided on the FAFSA is correct. When a FAFSA is flagged for this process, the Office of Financial Aid is required to perform a review of the FAFSA data. A verification worksheet and tax return transcripts are required to be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid (worksheet only, if the IRS Data Retrieval was used), and in some instances other additional documentation is necessary. The student is sent an email with instructions on downloading the appropriate verification worksheet from the UF webpage and how to request parent and student tax return transcripts from the IRS website.

When does financial aid get applied to my student account?

Generally, the business office runs the posting process seven days prior to the beginning of the enrollment period. Aid that has been approved will credit to your account at that time. 

My aid eligibility number is low.  Why don't I receive more aid?

While Findlay seeks to provide as much aid as possible, the University also must operate within budgetary constraints. We may be unable to provide as much aid as you need or for which you may be eligible. We will provide other avenues, but generally, they will involve loans requiring repayment after you leave school.

How do I get a refund?

If your account balance is fully paid and you have a credit balance on your account, you may request a refund from the Business Office.   

​What does "Estimated Miscellaneous Costs" on the award letter mean?

Miscellaneous costs are costs not billed by Findlay. They are costs that students incur above and beyond their direct costs of tuition, room, board and fees such as books, transportation, supplies, off-campus entertainment, etc.

How much do books, supplies, and course materials cost.?

The University does not charge students directly for books, supplies, and materials. Financial Aid estimates that a student would spend no more than $1000 per academic period (i.e., semester) for these items. Students may spend less than this amount.

What balance do  I owe?

A quick way to determine that is to calculate the sum of the known costs for tuition, fees, room, and board, and subtract from that the aid awarded (except for work-study). You may wish to contact the business office directly if you have more specific questions about your account.  You can also access that information via the web.