​​​​​Invitation Letter Request Form

Inviting Friends and Family to Visit

Many students wish to invite friends and family for a short visit to the United States. The B-2 visitor visa is a good choice for visits of six months or fewer in duration or for family members who do not qualify for an F-2 dependent visa (such as parents, siblings, cousins, etc.).

The most important part of the B-2 application at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate is the applicant’s demonstration of ties to the home country, such as:
  • Copies of deeds to property (land, house, apartment) they own in their home country
  • Bank statements of accounts they maintain at home
  • A letter from an employer stating they will return to their job after the U.S. visit
  • Ability to cover expenses
Providing your family members with this documentation may improve their chances of obtaining a visa; however, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The success of their request for a visa lies in their ability to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S.

What do I need to do?

The Office of International Admissions and Immigration Services can prepare an invitational letter for each family member or friend you would like to invite. You need to simply:
  1. Fill out the Invitation Letter Request form below.
  2. Stop by the Office of International Admissions and Immigration Services in two business days to pick up your letters at the front desk.
Note: the number of invitational letters you can request is limited to five letters. Invitational letters are not a required part of the B-2 visa process so this is a complimentary service our office provides.