​Change of ​Status

If you want to change the purpose of your visit while in the United States, you must file a request with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the appropriate form before your authorized stay expires.​​

This page contains helpful information to guide you through this process and you should consult with an Immigration Attorney for assistance through the change of status application and process. ​


An F-1 student is a nonimmigrant who is pursuing a full course of study to achieve a specific educational or professional objective at an academic institution in the US. Once the educational objectives have been achieved, the F-1 student is expected to return to his or her residence abroad. 

A student acquires F-1 status using Form I-20, issued by the U.S. school which the student is attending/planning to attend. Status is acquired in one of two ways: 1) by entering the United States with the I-20 and an F-1 visa obtained at a U.S. consulate abroad (Canadian citizens are exempt from the visa requirement); or 2) by applying to USCIS for change of nonimmigrant status (if the student is already in the United States and cannot travel). Please note that if you choose the latter form of acquiring F-1 status, you will not receive an F-1 travel visa, only F-1 status. This means that if you later travel outside the U.S. while in F-1 status, you will have to apply for F-1 visa at a U.S. consulate in order to be able to return to the U.S. 

A person of any non-immigrant status except C, D, K, or M (and in some cases J), and except those who entered the United States under the terms of the Visa Waiver Program, can apply for a change to F-1 status if he/she has maintained lawful non-immigrant status up to the time of application. Those with J status who are subject to 212(e) two-year home-country physical requirement may not change status in the U.S. unless a waiver has been granted. Non-immigrants in A, G, or NATO status must first complete Form I-566, and have it properly endorsed by the foreign mission to the U.S. and the Department of State. 

Disclaimer: The Office of International Admissions and Immigration Services is able to provide you with general guidance. However, any advice provided to you by our office, as well as the information on this page, should not be construed as legal advice. Additionally, due to the fluid nature of governmental interpretation, the USCIS may change its interpretation of these immigration laws/regulations and eligibility requirements for benefits, at any time. We will do our best to provide you with the most current guidance. It is also recommended to speak with an experienced immigration attorney who knows and understands the change of status application procedure for assistance in completing the I-539 and I-539A forms and filing the change of status application with USCIS. The information below is advise only and legal advice from an experienced immigration attorney is highly recommended. 

Documentation Needed to Apply for Change of Status to F-1 

  • G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance 
  • A cover letter (one page) requesting the change of status from your current status to F-1. This letter should include a brief explanation as why you wish to change to F-1 status. You should also provide a checklist of the documentation you are including in your application. 
  • USCIS Form I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, including the application fee. 
  • USCIS Form I-539A Supplemental Information for Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, including biometrics fee. 
  • Evidence of financial support (i.e., bank statement, assistantship letter, etc.). Please note that after your change of status to F-1 is approved, the earliest date you may start working on campus is 30 days before the first day of classes of your first term as F-1 student. 
  • Copy of the admission letter from the University. 
  • Copy of your entire F-1 I-20 (sign in “Student Attestation” section on page 1 of the form before making a copy). Do NOT send your original I-20. USCIS does not require the original and will not return it. 
  • Copy of the receipt indicating payment of the SEVIS fee. Please note that the SEVIS fee is separate from the application fees; all fees must be paid if you are applying for the change of status within the U.S. 
  • Copies of all of the immigration documents (e.g. DS-2019, F-2 I-20, I-797, paper or print-out of electronic Form I-94, valid passport, visa stamp, EAD card, etc.) showing that you are currently in lawful non-immigrant status. Office of International Admissions & Immigration Services 1214 N Cory Street, Findlay, OH 45840 [email protected] | +1-419-434-4558 
  • Copy of the waiver of the 212(e) Two-Year Foreign Residency Requirement (if you were previously in J status and subject to the requirement), if applicable. 
​​We recommend that you make a copy of this application for your own record. 

Mailing Address and Where to File 

It may take USCIS several months to adjudicate an I-539 request, and therefore you should use a return address that will be valid for many months. We do not recommend trying to change your I-539 mailing address once your application has been submitted to USCIS. 

If you know that you will be moving soon, we recommend using our office’s address: Office of International Admissions 1000 N. Main St., Findlay, Ohio 45840. If you select this strategy, make sure to include the Office of International Admissions on the line of the I-539 form that says “In care of.” 

We recommend that you use a trackable mailing method so that you have delivery confirmation of your application. For express mail and courier deliveries (e.g., UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc): 
ATTN: I-539 
2501 S. State Highway 121 Business 
Suite 400 Lewisville, TX 75067 

We do not recommend using USCIS Electronic Immigration System (ELIS). 

If your change of status is pending with USCIS and you later decide to leave the U.S., your change of status is considered to have been abandoned. Please notify our office if you travel outside the US while a change of status application is pending. 

Important Things to Remember 

If you are currently in F-2 status: 
Source: 8 CFR (Code of Federal Register) § 214.2(f)(15)(ii) 

Individuals in F-2 status are eligible for part-time study. Refer to F-2 Dependents for details. However, once your change of status to F-1 is approved, you are required to be enrolled full time. If your change of status has not been approved by the deadline for adding/dropping classes, your I-20 start date will be deferred until the start of the next semester and you must stay enrolled part-time until the end of the current semester in order to maintain your F-2 status. 

If you are currently in B1/B2 status: 
Source: 8 CFR § 214.2(b)(7) and §248.1(c) 

Individuals in B1/B2 status are prohibited from “enrolling in a course of study” until after USCIS approves their change of status application. 

If you are currently in any other status (e.g., H, J, L, E, etc.): 
If your current status allows full-time studies in the U.S., you may start classes before your change of status application is approved. However, you are not allowed employment under F-1 status until after your application is approved. For example, if you have an assistantship, you won’t be able to start. 

Traveling and Reentering the U.S. ​

The alternative method of changing to F-1 status is through travel and re-entry, which may be preferred over the in-country change of status in most situations. In this case, you would depart the U.S. and then apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad, preferably the local consulate in your home country. If the F-1 visa application is approved and the F-1 visa is issued, then you can re-enter the U.S. using your F-1 I-20 form and F-1 visa. At the Port of Entry, your electronic I-94 will be updated to show your status as F-1 and the Admit Until Date as D/S, which confirms F-1 status. Please note that Canadian citizens are exempt from the requirement of a having an F-1 visa to re-enter the U.S. in F-1 status. But travel and re-entry are still required for Canadian citizens to obtain F-1 status. 

For further information about travel and re-entry and/or visa applications, refer to the U.S. Department of State​ web site.​​