​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Travel Form

What steps do I need to take to travel outside of the United States?

  1. Make sure you are registered full-time for the semester you are returning to
  2. F-1 students only...Fill out the F-1 Student Travel Form below, select the appropriate travel reason and attach a PDF copy of your flight schedule to the form
  3. If you have a dependent(s) traveling with you or you are a dependent (F-2), please fill out the F-2 Dependent Travel Form below. 
  4. Come to the Office of Internation​al Admissions and Immigration Services to have​​​​​​​ page two of your I-20 signed - if the travel signature on page two is older than six months

When can I take a break and leave the United States?

We have listed five possible reasons for your travel outside of the U.S. in the form. Please select the scenario that fits your situation best to ensure you are completing everything necessary before your departure.
  1. Short-Term Visit
    You are departing the U.S. and returning within the same required semester. You do not need to withdraw from classes. The semester is not your annual vacation.

  2. Annual Vacation - Summer
    You are temporarily departing the U.S. during your annual vacation semester. You are not required to register for classes for your annual vacation. All students on an F-1 visa are eligible for a summer break. ​​

  3. Temporary Withdrawal
    You are departing the U.S. and need to withdraw from all classes for only one semester.

    • Please complete the Withdrawal Form.

    • Students taking a session off to return home must leave by the beginning of the semester and return no earlier than 30 days prior to the start of your next semester.​

    • Students taking a semester off will have their SEVIS records Terminated for an Authorized Withdrawal. A correction will be submitted 30 days prior to your U.S. Return Date as listed on your flight itinerary to reactivate your SEVIS record.

    • Please contact the Office of International Admissions & Immigration Services at [email protected] or +1(419)434-4558 a minimum of 30-60 days before your re-entry to have your SEVIS record activated.

  4. Long-Term Withdrawal
    You are departing the U.S. and need to withdraw from all classes for more than one semester.

    • Please complete the Withdrawal Form.

    • If you are outside of the U.S. for more than five months you will need a new I-20, pay the I-901 SEVIS fee again, and a new visa (if expired) to reenter and continue studies.  

  5. Permanent Withdrawal
    You are either departing the U.S. or transferring and do not wish to return to the University of Findlay.

​What are the basic requirements for an F-1 student to reenter the United States after traveling abroad?

  • A current SEVIS Form I-20 endorsed for travel by our office.

  • A current passport valid for at least six months after the date of your reentry and valid ​visa.

  • Financial information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses.

  • If you are outside of the U.S. for more than five months your SEVIS record will be terminated and your F-1 visa will no longer be valid.

Can I come back into the United States after my term has started?

You will be allowed to reenter but you will need to get your academic advisors permission to come back late.

What if I am unable to register for the term I’m returning to?

Talk to your advisor about getting “paper registered” for the term. You can also register from your home country by contacting your academic advisor. Once you are registered, mail your I-20 to our office, we will sign the I-20 and send it back you.​