​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Military Information - Veteran's Benefits

The University of Findlay is recognized for supporting military students and their families

Dedication Ceremony Infront of Old MainVictory Media, the premier media entity for military personnel transitioning into civilian life, has named the University of Findlay to its Military Friendly Schools list for the fourth time. Click here to read more

Veterans' Education Benefit

The University of Findlay participates in Chapter 33-Post 9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008 and the Yellow Ribbon Program. You may find more information on the Yellow Ribbon Program here. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Who do I talk to about the Montgomery GI Bill® Benefits at Findlay?

Heather​ L. Riffle
Director of Graduate Operations, Coordinator of Online Delivery & IRB Research Officer
Old Main, Room 118
Telephone: 419-434-​4640

Has the Veterans Administration approved the academic programs and courses at the University of Findlay?  
The State Approving Agency for Veterans Training has approved the academic programs and courses at The University of Findlay.  

How do I know if I am eligible for VA education benefits and what will my benefit include?
Call the Veterans Administration at 1-888-442-4551. The eligibility requirements are unique to each program and will need to be approved by the VA before using them at Findlay. Please visit the VA website to view the different benefit programs that may apply to you. The VA will pay tuition and fees towards your degree at Findlay any may include a housing/book stipend. The VA has a helpful GI Bill® Comparison Tool which will show you how much your benefit will provide.

I have never used my VA education benefits. What does Findlay need from me?
Chapter 33, Post-9/11 benefits, you will need to apply through the VA using their online system, VONAPP. Once the benefit is approved, you will receive a copy of your "Certificate of Eligibility" which will need to be sent to the certifying official at Findlay.  

Chapter 35 beneficiaries (a spouse or dependent child of a deceased or disabled veteran), the certifying official will need your "Certificate of Eligibility." The "Certificate of Eligibility" is sent to you after submitting a completed VA Form 22-5490 to the Regional Processing Office (Buffalo, NY). If you have applied online using VONAPP, please inform the certifying official. NOTE: The Certificate of Eligibility will indicate your "Claim Number" and "Suffix." This is the required information for submitting your enrollment certification.      

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) benefits, your case manager will submit the paperwork to the University of Findlay certifying official. Upon verifying your enrollment, the certifying official will forward the authorization form to the business office, where an invoice will be sent to the Veterans Administration. If the Veterans Administration authorizes books and supplies for your courses, ask for the book voucher from the assistant manager in the business office.  

If you have never used your Montgomery GI Bill® education benefits (Chapters 30 or 1606), the certifying official at The University of Findlay will need: 

1. Chapter 30 applicants, submit a Certified Copy of your DD-214 Member 4 (Discharge Certificate)


Chapter 1606 applicants, submit your DD-2384, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). NOTE: Chapter 1606 applicants who have a Kicker Contract should submit the contract, also.


2. Submit a completed "Application for VA Education Benefits," VA Form 22-1990 to the VA. NOTE: This form may be printed from Education Forms or by applying online through VONAPP.

How do VA benefits affect my financial aid package?
Recognizing the variability of benefits being extended to veterans who enroll at the University of Findlay, the University is adopting the following policies regarding institutionally-funded financial aid

1. We recommend that all VA benefit recipients file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

2. Findlay will give the student a merit award and a need-based award based on the student's admissions application and need.  These will be applied to the tuition/fee billing. Federal Pell Grant and the State of Ohio Ohio College Opportunity Grant can be used for costs of attendance beyond tuition and general fees. The VA benefit will be calculated and applied by the student accounts office. VA payments to the institution cannot exceed tuition and approved fees after tuition-specific aid has applied. This means that a student's institutional merit scholarship and institutional grant will reduce the cost of tuition and fees reported to the VA. Students should plan on receiving a benefit based on tuition and fees reduced by institutional aid.

3. We will provide eligible students a copy of this policy and publish same on our website.

I have been receiving VA education benefits at another school and am transferring into University of Findlay. What do I do to continue receiving these benefits?
1. Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606 beneficiaries complete and submit VA Form 22-1995 to the VA Regional Office in Buffalo, NY​.     

2. Chapter 33 beneficiaries complete and submit VA Form 22-1995 to the VA Regional Office in Buffalo, NY. Once processed, submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to the certifying official at The University of Findlay.

3. Chapter 35 beneficiaries complete and submit VA Form 22-5495 to the VA Regional Office in Buffalo, NY​. Once processed, submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to the certifying official at The University of Findlay.

NOTE: Forms 22-1995 and 22-5495 may be printed from Education Forms. You may apply online using VONAPP.

DOD Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)

Eligible Service members must receive approval form an Educational S​ervice Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrolling in Tuition Assistance (TA). Please send TA forms to the Business Office for processing.

GI Bill®​​ is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterns Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.