​Frequently Asked Questions

What are the Housing and Meal Requirements?  

Housing Requirements

A. As a condition of being admitted to the University of Findlay, every full-time undergraduate student who, prior to the start of an academic year, is under the age of 22 and has a class standing of either freshman (0-27 credit hours completed) or sophomore (27.01-57 credit hours completed) must reside in on-campus housing for the entire academic year. Class standing is determined strictly by the number of credit hours successfully completed. 

A student classified as one of the following prior to the start of an academic year is not required to live on campus: junior (57.01-87 credit hours completed), senior (87.01 or more credit hours completed), graduate student, Veteran, married student, part-time student, student age 22 or older, and student commuting from the full-time home of a parent, grandparent, or legal guardian (who live within the 50-mile commuting distance). If a student in this category chooses to live on campus, then he or she is subject to all terms stated in the Housing License Agreement (see section C below). 

Once a student is assigned to on-campus housing, the Housing License Agreement is in effect for the entire academic year and may only be terminated for the following reasons: the student withdraws from the University; or the student is required to live 30 or more miles away from Findlay in order to fulfill an academic program requirement (e.g. internship). 

Requests to reside off-campus or terminate a Housing License Agreement must be initiated at the Office of Student Affairs. All such requests will be referred to the housing appeals committee for review. Upon review, the committee will render a decision. This decision shall be final and is not subject to appeal. All students will be charged for room and meals until given permission, in writing from the committee, to reside off campus.

Meal Plan Participation Requirements


A. All freshmen assigned to on-campus housing are required to participate in the full residential meal program regardless of which type of campus housing facility they reside in.

Any sophomore student who resides in Bare, Deming, Fox, Lovett, Myers, Morey, UF Haven, or UF Village residence halls must participate in the full residential meal program regardless of age.

 Any junior, senior, or graduate student who resides in Bare, Deming, Fox, Lovett, Myers, Morey, UF Haven, or UF Village residence halls must participate in the meal program regardless of age but may choose between the full residential meal program or the Arch meal program.

Any sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate student who resides in a non-residence hall campus living unit (e.g. house, townhouse, cottage, or apartment) has the option to participate in either the full residential meal program or the Arch meal program but is not required to do so.

What forms do I need to complete in order to live off campus?

All housing forms (both On-Campus and Off-Campus) are online. If you are an incoming student, you will receive instructions on how to apply from your Admissions Counselor. If you have any questions about the process please contact Student Affairs at 419-434-4570.

Is a room deposit required?

There is no housing deposit required for on-campus housing.

When will I receive my room assignment?

Freshman room assignment e-mails will be sent at the end of May. Included in the e-mail will be your room assignment, as well as your roommate(s) name and contact information so you can plan what you will bring in the fall.

When may I move into my room?

Campus housing units open at 5 p.m. on the Wednesday before classes begin for students who have not yet attended a registration session. Students who have already attended a registration session earlier in the summer may check in on Thursday between 2 and 8 p.m. Returning students will be allowed to move in beginning at 9 a.m. on the Saturday before classes begin. All new students will be required to participate in an Orientation program the weekend preceding the start of school. Regular meal service will begin with the breakfast meal on Sunday.

May I have a single room?

A limited number of single rooms are available in Morey Hall, Myers Hall, UF Haven, UF Village, various apartment style locations, and some of the Special Interest Houses for an additional charge and are occupied mostly by returning students.

Will I be able to build a loft in my room?

All student rooms are furnished with stackable/loftable furniture. A pamphlet offering ideas on how to arrange the components of the loft furniture may be obtained from the residence life staff. Only the components of this loft system (supplied by the University) may be utilized in the configuration of a loft/bunk. No other materials may be attached to the furniture components or used as part of a loft/bunking configuration.

What are the dimensions of my room?

Bare, Deming, Fox, Lovett, UF Village, and UF Haven rooms are approx. 12’ X 15’ (but vary significantly). Morey rooms are approximately 10' X 14'. UF Townhouse bedrooms are approximately 10' X 11'. Special Interest house bedrooms vary in size.

What size are the mattresses?

The University of Findlay provides a twin extra long mattress for every room. Twin extra long sheets will work well, but are not required. 

Is storage space provided?

The closets, dressers, and shelves provided in a student room are the only storage spaces available. Students needing additional storage space will need to make arrangements with one of the storage businesses in the community.

Is cable television service available?

Our office is excited to partner with Philo to provide a wireless cable TV service. Every student who lives on campus has a Philo Account and can stream live television on their laptop, tablet, smartphone, as well as on other devices. Residents can also access the Philo system on their television through a Roku Stick or by connecting their computer with an HDMI cord. In addition to live television, residents will be able to record at least 20 hours of programming to watch later, as well as have access to a host of other benefits.

Can I bring my computer from home?

Yes. You may bring your computer from home. Each room has a network jack for Internet access and e-mail. We also have wireless internet access across campus. You will want to contact Information Technology Services for more information.

Who is responsible for cleaning my room?

Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms. Vacuums may be signed out in the Residence Life Staff offices in Lovett, Bare, and UF Village residence halls. Housekeeping will maintain communal living areas.

May I switch rooms?

The Office of Student Affairs places a 10-day freeze on room assignments after the start of each semester. During this time, no room change requests can be granted. After the 10-day freeze, all residents do have the option to request a room change, if all parties involved agree with the move. Room changes will only be granted if space is available. Students interested in changing rooms must work with their RA to complete a Room Change Request form.

Are laundry facilities available?

All residence halls, special interest houses, fraternity/sorority houses, cottages, and townhouses have a laundry room. Washers and dryers are free to operate (the cost is included in room rates) and are to be used by residents of that facility only. 

How are on-campus housing facilities staffed?

The Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Residence Life oversee day-to-day operations of all campus living units. They are assisted by resident directors and resident assistants. Resident assistants are assigned to residence hall floors, special interest houses, cottage and townhouse areas.

Are there study floors?

All on-campus living units have "quiet hours" which are in effect from 10 p.m. – 10 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and midnight to 10 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. 

What is furnished in my room?

Each room has a bed, desk, chair, dresser and closet for each student, except in some houses. Drapes and/or mini-blinds are also furnished in each room. Special Interest Houses, UF Cottages, UF Village, UF Haven, and UF Townhouse residents have carpeted bedrooms.

What is the visitation policy?

Students of the opposite sex are prohibited from entering campus living units except during visitation hours. Those hours are Sunday through Thursday - 9 a.m. to midnight; Friday and Saturday – 9 a.m. to 2 a.m. 

Exceptions to the above guidelines: 24-hour visitation is in effect every day of the week in residence hall lounges and living rooms of resident director rooms, special interest houses, cottages, fraternities, sororities, and townhouses. Persons visiting one of these areas after midnight on Sunday through Thursday and after 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday must stay in the 24-hour visitation area and must be escorted by a resident as they enter and exit the facility. Students and/or their guests are not permitted to sleep in the 24-hour visitation areas. 

Campus living unit visitations are subject to the following rules and regulations:

  1. Visitors not attending Findlay must be at least 18 years of age (unless they are an immediate relative of a resident). These persons must be able to show proof of their age by a driver's license, ID or selective service card. 
  2. Restrooms on residence hall floors are not to be used by members of the opposite sex.
  3. Visitation is under the supervision of residence life staff of each campus living unit.
  4. Roommates must be in agreement about visitors to the room so that the individual rights to privacy are respected.
  5. Students violating visitation hours will be subject to disciplinary action. Exceptions may be made by Student Affairs or a resident director only, and written authorization must be obtained in advance.
  6. Students are responsible for the actions of their visitors.
  7. If a visitor in a student room or in a residence hall lounge or living room of a special interest house, fraternity, sorority, or townhouse is disruptive to other residents in any way, staff may ask the visitor to depart immediately. 

What is the alcohol policy?

Alcoholic beverages are not permitted on University-owned or -controlled properties or at functions sponsored by the University of Findlay off campus. Students violating this policy may be suspended from the University. Any students who, in the judgment of the administration, show definite evidence of intoxication or who have possession of alcoholic beverages or "empties" on University-owned or -controlled property will be subject to judicial action that may include one or more of the following: a monetary fine, probation status, counseling, community service, restitution, restriction in campus access, suspension or dismissal.

Since alcohol is not permitted on University-owned or controlled properties, all students present where an alcohol violation occurs are subject to disciplinary action regardless of age. In University Townhouses, Cottages, Special Interest Houses and Fraternity and Sorority Houses, all residents can be held responsible for alcohol violations occurring anywhere in the unit. All student organizations of the University of Findlay that violate the alcohol policy are subject to the following sanctions:

  • First Violation - Two years of disciplinary probation* and a $1,000 fine for the organization.
  • Second Violation - (while on probation) Extension of probation* for one year and a $1,500 fine for the organization and possible loss of University recognition as an organization.
  • Third Violation - Automatic loss of recognition by the University of Findlay.*Probation terms for student groups will vary based on the type and severity of the violation, and the University reserves the right to assign probation terms as it sees appropriate.

What can you tell me about on-campus safety and security?

The University of Findlay has a Campus Safety and Emergency Management department that operates 24 hours a day. Police officers and Security officers make regular rounds on campus during the day and throughout the night. Residence Life duty staff also perform rounds and are on duty from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. each day. Only the main entrance doors to residence halls that include offices or classrooms unlocked from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. All other entrance and exit doors of residence halls and other on-campus housing units are kept locked 24 hours a day. Residents must use their exterior door key to gain access. Call boxes are located by the main entrance door of residence halls for emergencies and to allow visitors the ability to call residents within the building.

Can I bring my car?

Yes. All students are permitted to have a vehicle on campus. You are required to register your vehicle with the University of Findlay Security Office. This may be done during the first week of classes. There is no charge to receive a parking permit. 

Will I have email access?

All UF students may request an e-mail account free of charge from ITS. Every campus lab has access to e-mail. There are also computer banks in the Davis St. Building, and the Alumni Memorial Union where students can check their e-mail.

May I cash checks on campus?

Yes. You may cash checks up to $50 at the Business Office. The Business Office window hours are from 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Does the University provide personal property insurance?

Insurance for your personal property is not covered by the University of Findlay. This type of coverage commonly falls under your parent’s homeowner’s policy. Check with your insurance agent for full details. We encourage you to obtain "Renter’s Insurance" if you are not covered under a homeowner’s policy.

What are the available meal plan options?

  • Plan #1 – 19 Plus Dining Plan: This traditional dining plan provides you with up to three meals per day, 19 meals per week in Henderson Dining Hall.  Also, you receive $100 bonus dollars per semester to spend at six different dining locations and 5 pal passes per semester.
  • Plan #2 – 14 Plus Dining Plan: Choose any fourteen meals per week in Henderson Dining Hall up to three meals a day, plus receive $200 bonus dollars per semester deposited into your dining card account to spend at six different dining locations. This plan also includes 5 pal passes per semester.
  • Plan #3 – 10 Plus Dining Plan: Choose any ten meals per week up to three meals a day, plus receive $250 bonus dollars per semester deposited into your dining card account to spend at six different dining locations. This plan also includes 5 pal passes per semester.

*Notes: Meals with the Residential Dining Plans are not available during official University breaks. However, Bonus Dollars are accepted at all other locations during Thanksgiving, Spring, and Easter Breaks.

**Bonus Dollars are accepted at The Cave, Domino's Pizza, East of Chicago Pizza, Marco's Pizza, George House Coffee and Tea Company, Henderson Dining Hall, Penn Station, Main Street Deli and Jimmy Johns. *Note: Meal plans cannot be changed during the semester. Any changes must be made by the first Thursday of the semester (the first Thursday classes are held). Also, student ID cards serve as meal cards for students on a meal plan.

What are Bonus Dollars and Derrick Dollars?

Bonus dollars are a part of four meal plan options. Bonus dollars may be spent in The Cave for a meal or a snack, in Henderson Dining Hall for an additional meal or at Domino’s Pizza, Marco's Pizza, East of Chicago 's Pizza, George House Coffee Shop, Penn Station, Main Street Deli and Jimmy Johns. Bonus dollars expire at the end of each semester and are non-refundable. Bonus dollars may be used for meals over break.

Derrick Dollars is an option commuter students tend to use. Derrick Dollars is used much like bonus dollars are. You have the option to purchase Munch Money through Henderson Dining Hall and are able to use it there, in The Cave and at Domino’s Pizza, Marco's Pizza, East of Chicago 's Pizza, George House Coffee Shop, Penn Station, Main Street Deli and Jimmy Johns.

What should I bring to the University of Findlay?

  • Alarm clock
  • Bedspread/comforter
  • Blankets
  • Change for vending
  • Detergent/fabric softener
  • Fan
  • First aid/cold medicine
  • Flashlight
  • Hair dryer
  • Hangers
  • Laundry bag or basket
  • Mattress pad
  • Pillow
  • Posters/wall decorations
  • Radio
  • Sewing kit
  • Sheets
  • Shower caddy
  • Sturdy key ring
  • Telephone
  • Towels/washcloths
  • Trashcan
  • UL approved power strip
  • Umbrella/rain gear
  • Warm winter clothing

Optional items to bring:

  • Address/phone book
  • Bike and bike lock
  • Computer
  • Iron
  • Keurig
  • Microwave
  • Mugs/cups/bowls/silverware
  • Playing cards/games
  • Refrigerator (compact size, no larger than 6.0 cubic ft. capacity [3 ft. x 2 ft.])
  • Sports equipment
  • Stamps/stationary
  • Storage crates
  • Study lamp
  • Television

What to leave home:​

  • Air conditioners
  • Appliances with open heating elements
  • Candles
  • Crockpot
  • Dartboards
  • Hot plates
  • Hoverboard
  • Incense
  • Pets (fish are permitted)
  • Potpourri burners (candle warmers are permitted)
  • Rice cooker
  • Space heaters
  • Sunlamps
  • Toaster ovens

Are there any ATMs on campus?

The University has three ATM’s located on campus. Two are located in the Alumni Memorial Union by the Facilities Office, one is operated by 5/3rd Bank and the other is operated by CardTronics. The third ATM is located at the UF Bookstore, operated by First Federal Bank.

Can I bring a pet?

The University allows non-predatory fish in a tank up to 10 gallons. No other pets are permitted in on-campus housing.