How confident a student is in their reading ability impacts so many aspects of their life. As early as third grade, reading skill strength has been used to predict whether a student is going to graduate of high school, what their future economic status will be, the odds that they will be incarcerated and self-esteem levels later in life.
As an educator, you know that reading opens a new world of interests and possibilities to children, adolescents, teenagers and adults. The University of Findlay strives to provide our Master of Arts in Education Reading Emphasis students with the tools they need to provide reading skills and strategies to any aged student they are working with.
A Master of Arts in Education with a Reading Emphasis is a great fit for early childhood teachers, middle childhood teachers or intervention specialists.
Our online program covers many topics within the field of reading. Emphasis is placed on:
- Intervention techniques
- Inclusion in the classroom
- Specific special needs assessments
- Current issues in the teaching of reading
- Our research course aligns with the International Reading Association Standard of the Preparation of Reading Professionals
- Process of short cycle assessment
- Progress monitoring
- Data analysis
- Curriculum alignment
- Data input into the state electronic system
Your Own Interests
- During the last course of the class, you are encouraged to find a topic within reading that you feel passionate about. Our faculty will provide you with the information and support you need to pursue an in-depth study.
To earn a Master of Arts in Education with a Reading Emphasis, you must complete:
For more information
Please contact Mary Heather Munger, Ph.D, at [email protected]