The following criteria define the technical standards applicants are generally expected to meet in order to participate and function in the laboratory, classroom and clinical settings. These technical standards are necessary and essential to ensure for the health and safety of students as well as of the patients receiving care.
All students in the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs must possess the intellectual ability to learn, integrate, analyze and synthesize data. Students must have functional use of the senses of vision and hearing as well as motor function capabilities to meet the demands of the profession.
- Observe patients, manipulate equipment, and evaluate image quality.
- Observe changes in patient condition
- Utilize equipment for maximum diagnostic results
- Differentiate primary colors, shades of gray and real-time images, as well as delineate spatial relationships, borders and pathological entities in a three-dimensional plane
- Posses sufficient hearing to assess patient needs and communicate verbally with other healthcare providers.
- Acquire information
- Perceive nonverbal communication
- Differentiate Doppler signals
- Hear audible alarms
- Employ verbal and written skills to communicate needs promptly and efficiently in English.
- Verbally instruct patients
- Speak in a way that is clearly understood by the average person at close range
- Foster mature, sensitive and effective relationships with patients and other healthcare professionals
- Maintain patient confidentiality
- Demonstrate sufficient gross and fine motor coordination to respond promptly and ensure patient safety.
- Safely perform imaging procedures
- Assess and comprehend the condition of the patient
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Possess satisfactory intellectual and emotional functions to exercise independent judgment and discretion in the safe technical performance of sonographic imaging procedures.
- Function effectively under stress
- Adapt to changing environments and exhibit independent judgment and critical thinking
- Demonstrate compassion, empathy, integrity, concern for others, interest and motivation