​​​​​​​​Student Employee FAQ

What documents do I need to complete the hiring process?

Upon hire, you will receive several task emails from Workday which will include the onboarding paperwork. All students must bring original identification and employment eligibility document(s). By law, UF may not accept a scan, copy, picture, fax, or any other reproduction of these documents. List of acceptable documents​. 

When may I start the job I have been offered?

Your hire date will typically be five days from when your supervisor offers and you accept the position. During that time, you will be expected to complete all the required onboarding documents and present your required identification. Your supervisor may begin to schedule you to work any time on or after your hire date. Please note, your hire date may not be the same as your start date. Your start date is the first day your supervisor schedules you to work.

Failure to complete hiring forms or to present original identification on time will result termination of employment.

How many hours can I work as a student employee?

Student Employees can work up to 29 hours a week. Non-Resident Alien Students are capped at 20 hours during the academic year per their Visa Guidelines. During the summer, Non-Resident Aliens can work up to UF's mandated hours of 29 per week.

Are Student Employees eligible for Workers' Compensation?

Yes, students employed by the university to work in a student employment role, are eligible for Workers' Compensation if they are injured in the course and scope of employment.

How do I file my taxes?

Instructions for filing federal taxes can be found at https://www.usa.gov/file-taxes

Instructions for filing state taxes in Ohio can be found at https://www.tax.ohio.gov/

If you are an out-of-state student, you may also need to file taxes in your state of residence. To do this, please refer to your state's tax website

How do I get my W-2?

At this time W-2s are mailed in January to the permanent home address we have on file. We also have copies available in the Office of Human Resources. Photo ID must be presented to obtain a copy.

How do I receive my W-2 if I've graduated and no longer work at UF?

Your W-2 will be automatically mailed to the address on record. If this address is incorrect, please contact the Registrar's Office and Human Resources.

How do I enroll in direct deposit?

Upon hire, you will receive an email from Workday regarding the set up of your payment elections.

I am having an issue with my direct deposit. Who do I contact?

Please contact the Office of Human Resources.

How long may I continue student employment after graduation?

Employment as a student will end at the end of the semester in which you have graduated if you are not enrolled in the following semester.​


International Student FAQ:

How do I access my I-94?

You may print your I-94 off the Department of Homeland Security's website.

How do I get a Social Security card?

Please refer to this information from UF's Office of International Admissions.

How soon should I start applying for a Social Security number?

You should start the application process immediately after obtaining a job.

What about my taxes?

Nonresident aliens in the United States are required to file taxes. You may learn more through the Office of International Admissions.