Each year colleges and universities across the country recognize the importance of the student work experience during National Student Employment Week. Student employment offers students career-enhancing opportunities, the ability to develop skills relevant in any career, and better preparation for the job market upon graduation.
Of course, a primary motivation for most students is the need to help pay for their education. Many students are able to earn a significant portion of their college expenses, thus avoiding the debt burden so common with college graduates today.
At the University of Findlay, student employees perform invaluable services with enthusiasm, dedication, and initiative. Indeed, our departments depend on the contributions of this reliable workforce for the efficient operation of the entire campus. It is appropriate to set aside a special week to draw the awareness of others, both on campus and off, to the contributions student workers make in the multitude of roles they fill.
By celebrating this week, we hope to increase employer awareness of the services that student employees provide; increasing employer base and positions available for students, and providing open recognition for their outstanding work.
April 4 to April 8, 2022
Monday, April 4: See What’s Popping with Student Employment! Come out and enjoy some Shirley’s Popcorn from 11:30 to 1:30 (while supplies last) located in CBSL at the Atrium
Tuesday, April 5: Enjoy Ice Cream on the Patio with Student Employment from 11:30 to 1:30 located on the CBSL Outdoor Patio. Inclement weather location will be inside CBSL in the Atrium
Wednesday, April 6: Wake up with Doughnuts and Coffee by the Bell from 8:30 to 11:30 am. Inclement weather location will be inside CBSL in the Atrium.
Friday, April 8: Student Employee of the Year Nominees recognized at the Symposium starting at 8:30 am located at WTS.
Looking for ideas to celebrate your student employees? Check out these ideas!
- Decorate office doors or bulletin boards with posters expressing appreciation to your student workers and listing all their names.
- Take your student employees out to lunch or have a pizza party.
- Bring in a dessert for your student employees.
- Have balloons or flowers at the student worker's desk one day.
- Create a large thank you card and have your staff sign it.
- Pat on the Back - Draw an outline of your hand on a piece of paper. Photocopy enough copies for all students in your office. On each hand, write a note that tells the student why they deserve a “Pat on the Back".
- Treat Day – organize a potluck! Have the full-time staff bring in treats/lunch for student workers.
- Take pictures - post employee pictures and list what wonderful things they do for your department. Place on your staff bulletin board if you have one.
- Put together an “exam survival kit" You can include granola bars, cookies, fruit snacks and more!