How do I get an Oiler Success Card?
Cards are being distributed in many of the First-Year Seminars during the first three weeks of classes. Cards will also be available in the Buford Center (1222 N. Cory Street), Academic Support Center (Old Main, ground floor), and the Oiler Success Center (122 Old Main, first floor) starting August 19. If you lose your card, please check with the Oiler Success Center.
How do I collect Oiler Success card stars?
From August 18 through November 1, complete 5 stars on your Oiler Success Card by attending events, activities, and some class presentations offered by the Oiler Success Card sponsoring offices. All of the activities will help you to build the skills you need to make this year a success and take your first steps to reach your goals at Findlay.
The five stars can be earned by participating in designated 'Success Card' programs sponsored by the following areas:
- Academic Advising
- Academic Support Center
- Accommodation and Inclusion
- Career Planning
- Intercultural Student Services
- International Education
- Oiler Success Center / Starfish
- Service and Community Engagement
You must have your Oiler Success Card with you to validate a star for completing an activity. Always bring your Oiler Success Card!
Take your card to your classes. If a Success Star Sponsor is presenting in one of your classes, you may be able to earn a star.
CARD TIP: Every time you earn a success star, mark the date or event name on your card and take a picture of your card. If you lose your card, the Oiler Success Center in Old Main can replace it.
You may earn up to 2 success stars from the Academic Advising area.
ACADEMIC INTEGRITY POLICY TRAINING - You may earn 1 success star when you bring your completion certificate for the online academic integrity training to the Oiler Success Center (Old Main, first floor, 122).
DEGREE AUDIT OR FOUR YEAR CLASS PLAN - You may earn 1 success star for a degree audit review with your advisor OR a 4-year class plan completed for your first-year seminar. (1 star max for this)
To receive a success star for this area, schedule an appointment with your advisor to review your graduation requirements and bring a printed copy of your Degree Audit to the meeting. After you review your degree audit, ask your advisor to sign and date it. Bring your Oiler Success Card and your signed/dated Degree Audit to the Oiler Success Center in Old Main to get your card punch.
If you are enrolled in a First-Year Seminar for Animal Science majors ANSC 110 OR CSCI 110 First-Year Experience for the Analytical Sciences, or any seminar that requires you to print your degree audit and develop a four-year class plan for your major and degree that requires you to list every course you will take and the semester you will take it (including Core+ requirements), you may bring your completed audit and course plan, signed by your Seminar Instructor, to receive your Success Card star for academic advising.
Academic Support Center
Seating is limited. Doors will close at the session start time or when all seats are taken.
You may earn up to 3 success stars by attending workshops on different topics sponsored by the Academic Support Center.
** Academic Support Center stars may only be earned for workshop attendance or class presentations. Stars are not awarded for tutoring sessions or individual meetings with Jackie Stephenson, Director of the ASC.
Improving Listening and Notetaking Skills
- Monday, Sept 23: 4:00 - 4:50; Main 300
- Wednesday, Sept 25: 11:00 - 11:50; Main 213
- Tuesday, Oct 22: 4:30 - 5:20; Main 300
- Thursday, Oct 24: 3:30 - 4:20; Main 300
- Monday, Sept 30: 10:00 - 10:50; Winebrenner WTS 150
- Tuesday, Oct 1: 2:00 - 2:50; Main 300
- Wednesday, Oct 30: 2:00 - 2:50; Main 300
- Friday, Nov 1: 9:00AM - 9:50 ; Winebrenner WTS 150
Strategies for Your College Success
- All workshops concluded for fall 2019
Textbook Reading and Learning
- Tuesday, Sept. 17: 1:00 - 1:50; Main 212 **Location change**
- Wednesday, Sept 18: 10:00 - 10:50; Winebrenner 150
- Monday, Oct 14: Noon - 12:50; Main 212
- Friday, Oct 18: 9:00AM - 9:50; Frost 141
Time Management - Building a Study Calendar
- Monday, Sept 9: 11:00 - 11:50; Winebrenner 150
- Wednesday, Sept 11: 1:00 - 1:50; Main 312
- Thursday, Oct 10: 8:00AM - 8:50AM; Main 300
- Friday, Oct 11: 2:00 - 2:50; Main 300
Accommodation and Inclusion
** Advance Sign-Up is required for these workshops. Please call The Office of Accommodation and Inclusion to sign-up 419-434-5532.
You may earn one success star from Accommodation and Inclusion.
All Test Anxiety workshops will be held in the Oiler Success Center Conference Room, 122 Old Main, first floor.
- Thursday, Sept 5: 10:00 - 10:50
- Friday, Sept 13: 2:00 - 2:50
- Thursday, Sept 19: 10:00 - 10:50
- Thursday, Sept 26: 2:00 - 2:50 **Double Header: Starfish workshop same location at 1:00
- Thursday, Oct 3: 2:00 - 2:50
Buford Center for Diversity and Service
- Intercultural Student Services
- International Education
- Service and Community Engagement
Advance Sign-Up required for events with **. To RSVP, stop in the Buford Center (1222 North Cory Street), email Gabi Ferris at [email protected], or call 419-434-5798.
- Thursday, Sept 12: 12:15 - 1:15; Buford Dialogue featuring Freed Contemporary Christian Lecture Series Guest, Nikki Grimes; Buford Center **RSVP Required
- Friday, Sept 13; 8:00 - 10:00PM: Mid-Autumn Festival, traditional celebration throughout Asian cultures; Location: Buford Center, 1222 North Cory Street
- Friday, Sept 20: Noon - 1:00; Nigerian Cooking Demonstration; RSVP REQUIRED - [email protected]
- Tuesday, September 24: 7:00PM - 8:30PM; Study Abroad Information Fair; AMU Atrium
- Thursday, September 26: 3:30 - 5:00; OEBTA: Oilers Exploring Beyond the Arch; Location TBA
- Date and country TBA - International Cooking Demonstration and lunch - Buford Center - **RSVP Required
- October: Study Abroad Information Sessions. Please see the UF Office of International Education Facebook page and Instagram - UFAbroad for information
- Wednesday, October 16: Noon - 1:00pm; Czech Cooking Demonstration; RSVP REQUIRED - [email protected]
- Wednesday, October 16: 7:00PM - 8:30PM; 'One World, Many Voices' International Game Night; WTS / Winebrenner 254
- Saturday, October 26: 6:30AM - Noon; Mobile Food Pantry; 6:30am - Noon; To sign-up, please email [email protected]
- Wednesday, October 30: Noon - 1:00; Buford Dialogue featuring Dr. Anita Perez Ferguson, Woodrow Wilson Visiting Fellow - Buford Center - Noon - 1:00pm
You may earn up to 3 success stars by attending the events sponsored by the Buford Center for Diversity and Service. Each Buford Dialogue and each International Cooking Demonstration counts as a separate star.
For more information about programs and event sponsored by the Buford Center, please check the UF calendar online and in app or the Buford Center for Diversity and Service Facebook page.
You may earn up to 3 stars from Career Planning through workshops and meetings to talk about your career plans.
Meet with Jan Taylor to review career inventory results and learn about the connection between personality type and career choices - you will learn more than you think you know! Email [email protected] to set-up an appointment and get the link for the online inventory. Meetings are 30 minutes. Earn 1 star for this meeting. Appointments available through Friday, October 25. Want to bring a friend? Career assessment sessions may be scheduled for small groups, up to 3 students at one time.
All workshops are 30 minutes. All Career Planning workshops will be held in the Oiler Success Center, 122 Old Main, first floor.
Career Options for Animal Lovers
- Thursday, Sept 5: 5:30 - 6:00 & 6:30 - 7:00
- Tuesday, Sept 10: 6:30 - 7:00 & 7:30 - 8:00
- Wednesday, Sept 11: 6:00 - 6:30 & 7:00 - 7:30
- Monday, Sept 16: 6:00 - 6:30 & 7:00 - 7:30
Careers in Health Care and Nonmedical Professions Employed in the Health Field (that don't work with blood, fluids, and stuff)
- Monday, Sept 23: 6:00 - 6:30 & 7:00 - 7:30
- Wednesday, Sept 25 - 6:00 - 6:30 & 7:00 - 7:30
- Tuesday, Oct 1 - 6:00 - 6:30 & 7:00 - 7:30
Careers for Travelers
- Thursday, Oct 17: 6:00 - 6:30 & 7:00 - 7:30
Green-Up your Career Plan
- Monday, Oct 21: 5:30 - 6:00 & 6:30 - 7:00
Oiler Success Center / Starfish
To complete a star for Starfish / OSC, attend one of the Starfish workshops. Please bring your laptop!
All sessions will be held in the Oiler Success Center Conference Room, Old Main First floor 122.
Seating is limited!
You may earn 1 success star from the Oiler Success Center / Starfish area.
Flags, Kudos, Referrals, Oh, My! How to use Starfish, Portal to Your Success
- Tuesday, Sept 10: 2:00 - 2:50
- Wednesday, Sept 18: 10:00 - 10:50
- Thursday, Sept 26: 1:00 - 1:50 **Double Header: Test Anxiety workshop same location at 2:00
WHAT DO I DO AFTER I HAVE 5 STARS?
Turn in your card at the Oiler Success Center (Old Main 122, first floor) during any of these times:
Fridays from 8am - 5pm, September 20 through November 1 (Must have 5 stars completed for early card turn-in)
Monday through Friday, 8am - 6pm, Monday, November 4, through Friday, November 8 (Cards with 1 - 5 stars accepted this week)
Enter your card in the raffles - lots of great prizes! Spin the prize wheel! Gift card drawings! Over $1000 in prizes!
The deadline to turn in your card for the prize drawings is Friday, November 8, 2019, at 6:00pm.
What if I don't complete all 5 stars?
Everyone who participates in the Oiler Success Card program this fall will have a chance for prizes. As long as you have at least one star completed, you can turn it in for prizes during Prize Week November 4 through November 8. Don't miss it!
There are also prizes for the three First Year Seminars and the top ACAD 110 class with the highest participation levels - more ways to win for building success skills!