​Role of Parents in College Accessibility Services

The transition to college can feel just as overwhelming for parents as it does for students. Colleges and universities are not legally able to disclose information about accommodations or services to guardians. Under the Family Edu​cational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), all academic records of enrolled university students, regardless of age, are confidential. This can feel disorienting for some parents who may have played a large role in the accommodation process in K12 schools.

Students may, at their discretion, grant the University permission to release information to a third party by releasing their records through the Access ​Portal. Questions regarding the Access Portal should be directed to the Oiler Success Center (419-434-5680).

Should my student get to know the Office of Accommodation and Inclusion early on?

Yes, you should encourage your child to build a relationship with the Office of Accommodation and Inclusion staff. If you and your child visit the campus for a tour prior to enrolling, make time to stop by the Office of Accommodation and Inclusion and learn about the services they provide. Accommodations are always proactive, so it is important to establish them before the start of a new term; however, accommodations can be reviewed at any time.

Should I speak to my student’s professors about his or her particular needs?

In general, no, you should not intervene. Instead, try working with your student to discuss their needs and concerns with the OAI staff, Oiler Success staff, their faculty advisor, and their instructors.