​​​​​​​Application Process to the Doctor of Education

Classes start on ​May 17​​, 2021

Acceptance Criteria

To be considered for initial acceptance to the Doctor of Education Program, candidates must:

  • Possess a master’s degree from an accredited institution, with the possible exception of first-professional doctorate-degree holders, specifically when no master’s degree was offered (e.g., DPT and PharmD).

  • Have a minimum graduate grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.

  • Pass a Miller Analogies Test (MAT) with a minimum score of 400. Students who score within one standard deviation of the mean score (375 or above) on the Miller Analogies Test can be granted conditional acceptance into the program, and upon successful completion of both EDUC 700 and EDUC 701 with a “B” or better in each course, can be granted full acceptance into the program.

  • Submit an online application form. For students applying for the Fall 2020 class, the MAT is not required due to lack of online testing option.

  • Supply two letters of recommendation, which will include an assessment of the candidate’s ability to perform doctoral-level work.

  • Interview (face-to-face or online) with College of Education faculty.

  • To obtain full candidate doctoral status, candidates must complete EDUC 700: Writing as a Doctoral Scholar with a “B” or better.

Students whose native language is not English and who have not graduated from American universities must meet the previously listed admissions conditions, plus:

  • Score at least 100 on a verified TOEFL Internet-based test (iBT) with a minimum of 25 in speaking and 25 in writing or a verified International English Language Testing System (IELTS) academic score with a minimum overall band score of 8.0. International students can take the program online and enter the U.S. for the one-week live institutes. To facilitate this, the Office of International Admissions would create a new SEVIS record with a new initial I-20 each time and the student would need to pay the SEVIS fee each time.

  • Provide an affidavit of financial support (original), if not an American citizen or permanent resident.


Contact your admissions counselor: