The Choose Ohio First
Scholarship is designed to significantly strengthen Ohio’s competitiveness within science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medicine (STEMM) disciplines and STEMM education.
Choose Ohio First awards competitive scholarship funding to Ohio’s colleges and universities to support undergraduate and qualifying graduate students in innovative academic programs. Designated Choose Ohio First programs are:
- Integrated with regional economies
- Meeting statewide educational needs
- Facilitating the completion of baccalaureate degrees in cost-effective manners
- Recruiting underrepresented STEMM student groups including women and students of color
Choose Ohio First funds higher education and business collaborations that will have the most impact on Ohio’s position in world markets such as aerospace, medicine, computer technology, and alternative energy. These collaborations will ultimately produce substantive improvements to the pipeline of STEMM graduates and STEMM educators in Ohio. Choose Ohio First is part of a strategic effort to bolster Ohio’s economic strength by ensuring a ready workforce for STEMM-Related industries.
- Must be an entering first-year student accepted by March 1, 2021;
- Must be an Ohio resident;
- Must complete the FASFA;
- Must be enrolled in one of the following majors at Findlay:
- Adolescent/Young Adult (AYA) Math
- Adolescent/Young Adult (AYA) Science
- Middle Childhood Education (with math or science concentration)
- Computer Science
- Environment, Health, Safety (ESH) and Sustainability
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Applicants must commit to participating in research and scholarship activities beyond the classroom requirements.
Applicants must have a minimum:
- High School and/or College grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale;
- An ACT score ≥ 20 or SAT score ≥ 950 SAT;
- Evidence of ability to succeed and be prepared for career opportunities in Northwest Ohio; and
- Evidence of in-class and local engagement with businesses, non-profits, or government.
Findlay's Choose Ohio First eligible programs:
Students who wish to renew their awards in subsequent years will be selected based on their continued academic progress, determined by a minimum GPA and earned credit hours per semester, as well as involvement with all program-specific on- and off-campus co-curricular activities as previously conducted in past COF funding cycles. These engagement opportunities include, but are not exclusive to, community service activities focused upon promoting STEMM within local schools, on-campus presentations, and seminars (as active participants and attendees), as well as social events.
Questions? Please contact:
Jeff Frye, Ph.D.
Dean, College of Sciences, Assistant Professor, Chemistry
*The Choose Ohio First scholarships are contingent upon the funds received by the state of Ohio.